The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
(06-06-2022, 06:51 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi Steve

Early valve covers are also a different shape. They don’t have the rebate for the rubber gasket strip. Instead a flat cork gasket was used.

Your later cover would provide a better seal (using rubber) and I’ve used a later cover adapted by extending the holes on my special. Others may throw their hands up in horror at this modification or point out the downside of doing this.

Cheers

Howard

Good plan. Austin obviously changed the plate for a reason and the reason was that the earlier plate didn't seal very well. Only downside is that an early block doesn't have a top "lip" to seal against, not that much oil will come out at the top.

You can also get a silicon seal for the later plate.
Bit the bullet that would buy a quarter-decent used car and sent the 1930 radiator surround for plating - and the radiator core to be changed to the correct type. And was then disappointed that the promised "foreign muck" was not served for dinner. We're having that tomorrow.
Just occasionally the ancient memory recalls something, in this case that the Supaloy valve covers have a slot, rather than a single hole. Quick, snatch the Supaloy cover off the Ruby and offer it up to the Chummy block. Not original equipment on either machine, but if a rivet counter can actually see under the manifolds and past the carbs, then well done them!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Not today, but a few days ago we collected the van back after sign writing. 
The restoration on this started around 10 years ago, and it has been sat under a cover painted for around the last 9 years, life gets in the way aswell as other projects but a push from a friend to get it out and finished has resulted in it now finally back on the road. 

I love the 'Mr Therm' on the side.
Oh..I like that.
isn't it remarkable how words go out and come back into common useage.... even more so when they still have a likely degree of linkage despite radically different meanings :-)
The Seven hadn't been out for a fortnight. I was going to go for a trundle last Sunday, but the weather was awful. Anyway, my new front tyres arrived on Tuesday so I went down to my favourite tyre fitters at Bont Newydd to get them fitted, only to discover that he is on holiday! The journey wasn't entirely wasted, though, as I had taken my grand-daughter with me so that she could collect her new glasses from the optician in nearby Dolgellau. On the way back, we checked the accuracy of the speedometer against the satnav app on her phone. It seems to be a fairly consistent 5 miles per hour pessimistic throughout its range. Averaged a dizzying 47 mph along the A494 between Gwersyllte Glanllyn and Bala (about 3.7 miles of good flat straight 'A' road)

Got home and fitted the tyres myself.
(10-06-2022, 06:28 PM)David Stepney Wrote: I love the 'Mr Therm' on the side.

I also have a Mr Therm radiator mascot for the front and some other items for inside etc..
(10-06-2022, 09:58 PM)JohnD Wrote:
(10-06-2022, 06:28 PM)David Stepney Wrote: I love the 'Mr Therm' on the side.

I also have a Mr Therm radiator mascot for the front and some other items for inside etc..

Ah, yes! redolent of the days when we had (as a friend of mine, now alas, long dead used to say)" good Christian measurement and none of those foreign French revolutionary things"