The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
(01-06-2022, 10:27 AM)Tony Griffiths Wrote:
(31-05-2022, 10:22 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: Hi RR

Re the Long Range Desert Group jeep, I would be more worried about my hearing than the petrol tanks. not the ideal vehicle to be in hundreds of miles from home in the desert. The American copy of German jerry cans were vastly superior to the tinplate 4 gal tins used by the Brits and which lost them thousands of gallons.

The design of the Jerrycan is a most interesting study in how to get things right. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwUkbGHFAhs

A truly fascinating history of the so called 'Jerry' can - stay to the end !
Went to Classic Stony yesterday with our RN (Harvey). 

With the heavy rain overnight, and the forecast predicting rain throughout the day, the event had a quiet start. When it was clear that no more rain was likely, the event really got going with lots of cars and people. Given the number of Jubilee parties going on at the same time the organisers must have been relieved. 

I managed to arrive with another box (RP) and we parked up next to Crusty (RM) in date order 1931, 1932 and 1934. 

Crusty is one of the trio of box saloons (Rusty, Crusty & Dusty) that took part in the 2007 Paris-Peking rally.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I was aiming to pop over to Stony having fixed the sticking valves issue (I hope!) only to find that I have what appears to be a carburation issue now, so I was a tad disappointed to miss the event as the car had been going like a bomb otherwise.

Glad to see three box saloons there, a shame there wasn’t four!

I’m taking a couple of days off messing around with the car I’ve had the motor to bits three times in the past week, I’ll do something mundane, like accounts...
(06-06-2022, 10:57 AM)Steve Parkin Wrote: Went to Classic Stony yesterday with our RN (Harvey). 

With the heavy rain overnight, and the forecast predicting rain throughout the day, the event had a quiet start. When it was clear that no more rain was likely, the event really got going with lots of cars and people. Given the number of Jubilee parties going on at the same time the organisers must have been relieved. 

I managed to arrive with another box (RP) and we parked up next to Crusty (RM) in date order 1931, 1932 and 1934. 

Crusty is one of the trio of box saloons (Rusty, Crusty & Dusty) that took part in the 2007 Paris-Peking rally.

A lovely sight, three sevens parked up.  My father was driving in the twenties and thirties and always told me that in those days it was very strictly enforced.... you do not drive even one wheel onto the kerb or footpath.
Well, Saturday actually. With some of the BH competitors on Jersey, still plenty of Sevens at Harewood where we avoided any rain and, with the engine back to more like it should be, just scraped a PB.

Steve
What I did this afternoon was say some rude words. As part of offering everything up before bolting the engine together and dropping  it into the machine, I tried the valve cover. Could not the knurled screws to line up, no amount of gentle juggling worked. Finally decided that serious research was required, so screwed in some threaded rod to slide on the valve cover. Which immediately showed that the holes in the cover did not align with the bosses on the block, being significantly higher. Was this just an odd  valve cover recently unearthed from the "stores"? The answer is no. Another cover was also rejected by that block, and both were quite happy when offered up to the spare blocks littering my stores as much as everybody has some blocks. So why, and how many, blocks have different placed holes, and is there a suitable valve cover easily to be found.

Early blocks had the valve chest cover studs in a different position to later blocks with specific valve chest covers for each type. You've got the wrong cover for your block or the wrong block for your cover.

Steve
We live in a small world, so as well as distinguished competitors responding to comments, photos are sent all the way from Shropshire  by email. Early blocks do indeed  have  locating holes in a different position. So now all I have to do is find an early valve cover. Any out there?
Hi Steve

Early valve covers are also a different shape. They don’t have the rebate for the rubber gasket strip. Instead a flat cork gasket was used.

Your later cover would provide a better seal (using rubber) and I’ve used a later cover adapted by extending the holes on my special. Others may throw their hands up in horror at this modification or point out the downside of doing this.

Cheers

Howard
I made two small steel strips to move the holes downwards on an early block so as to take a later cover.   They were simply small pieces of 1/8" steel about 1/2" wide and 1" long with two holes, one for a screw into the block, the other hole tapped to take the valve cover retaining screws.  I used a Reliant cast aluminium valve chest cover with the Reliant name filed off.  I am using a cork sheet gasket and it is oil tight.