The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Im assuming its a build up from vapour from the antifreeze and the alloy as the system was dry but damp.

The build up was rock hard, and i had to remove it with a scredriver and hammer, the manifold has however had its day so ive got a replacement for that now.

As you say, there is a void in the block so it is only around the alloy parts thats it built up. Will give it a flush with boiling water and see if that breaks it down any
A breakdown on the Sheffield Group run - but only minor. While tackling one more strenuous Peak District hills, the Ruby of Anne Griffiths suffered a cylinder head core plug failure. I was a hundred yards ahead and as the convoy of cars - Ruby, Austin 20, Box saloon, and an Austin 12 - failed to appear around the last bend, I turned back. It could only have been around four minutes before I arrived, but by then a new core plug had been found and Rob Bailey was busy fitting it. We were on a single-track road, so a little off-road motoring into an adjacent field was called for to keep it clear.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Lovely photographs and great to see the Ruby fixed in short order!
Like those horizontal brass plug lead terminations. Look far better than vertical push on.
Not today, but Tuesday's  Cotswold Hillclimb Tour was most successful. No road closures, no equestrian events causing havoc, perfect weather with no rain but not too hot, and not a single incident involving an SUV with personalised number plates blocking any roads. Phew! Small Seven entry, but remember that this magnificent event will be repeated for Sevens on Friday 22nd July. Already well booked but remaining places, so don't hesitate to contact me; stevekaytwo@btinternet.com.

The computer refuses to allow me to caption the images, so at the top of Gambles Lane opposite the Rising Sun Hotel, a highly trained chock team are on standby to help cars before they attempt to get off the hill out onto the road. The very original XK120 belongs to Dave Nursey.  Ray and Barbara Moses are ascending vigorously in their Chummy. As well as sending tourists up steep Cotswold hills we naturally have to descend deep valleys across a ford or two. And in the paddock at Prescott, David and Ilke Cochrane supervise Chummy owner Adrian Bradshaw, as he prepares their car by filling up with petrol. 

[attachment=18152

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Changing the front wheel bearings today I found the 7/16 Whitworth box spanner unable to shift the rather old, worn, but very tight castellated hub nut after having drifted the split pin out through the hole provided. Casting around for an alternative I tried the six sided 14mm plug socket from my metric set. Fitted perfectly and I was able to fit the breaker bar on and give it what was needed. It won't fit a brand new nut as it's a few thou smaller than the 7/16 BSW hex, but is thin enough to go in the hub carrier and being six sided is not going to slip on an old and recalcitrant nut.
I realise I could have pulled the outer hub off to give better access to the nut, but having removed the split pin I wasn't going to be diverted.
Unless the split pin is of particular fondness to you,or perhaps you cannot afford a new replacement.I discovered many decades ago that my 1/2" drive socket will remove both nut and split pin in one effortless movement.
(21-05-2022, 04:23 PM)Ian Dunford Wrote: Unless the split pin is of particular fondness to you,or perhaps you cannot afford a new replacement.I discovered many decades ago that my 1/2" drive socket will remove both nut and split pin in one effortless movement.

+1 Ian. Me too.

Steve
(21-05-2022, 04:35 PM)Steve Jones Wrote:
(21-05-2022, 04:23 PM)Ian Dunford Wrote: Unless the split pin is of particular fondness to you,or perhaps you cannot afford a new replacement.I discovered many decades ago that my 1/2" drive socket will remove both nut and split pin in one effortless movement.

+1 Ian. Me too.

Steve

Yes I too agree, but I always try to remove the split pin first and only use the nut to shear it off if it won't come out. You have the fiddle of getting the bits out of the end of the shaft otherwise. And, no, I don't recommend re-using split pins unless there is absolutely no alternative.
Steve and I are referring to the stub axles ,not the half shaft