The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Ruairidh

I know that my need to have to ask many, sometimes simple, questions, may have lead you to think that I am no engineer, but the thought of tightening a steering wheel onto a spline really would frighten me! So yes the wheel is splined. Might that be a later insert? Thanks for suggesting that Jamie has lock nuts, he must be the only supplier I did not ask, or try to contact today. If he has some in stock then I will tell other people.
If the dish wheel has a spline, then I would suggest it is a later addition.
Or a remanufactured one. There seems to be unworked castings about for them.
Visiting friends yesterday:

Attached Files
.jpg   S023I001.JPG (Size: 161.75 KB / Downloads: 510)
.jpg   S023I002.JPG (Size: 173.18 KB / Downloads: 512)
Had a reshuffle in the garage this morning to get the Ulsteroid in a better position to accept it's new engine.  All I need now is a willing helper to give me a lift.  ( I have one in mind but he isn't available today)
Whether I get the 'old' engine from the Ulster into the RL saloon in time for Moreton in Marsh is debatable.   The engine in the RL is running nicely so I will probably stick with it.   I was hoping to get it installed ready for testing on the Cumbria Run mid-June but factors are against me.
Then there's the hill-climb car which only needs minor work to be driveable.   Getting it into the middle of the garage should result in it getting more attention, rather like chicks in a nest!            
Willow and I drove through three countries in the Cup Model today, Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland - was wonderful.

.jpeg   F5FE3902-E916-4A69-9F35-1E15D1F84B9B.jpeg (Size: 907.78 KB / Downloads: 399)
Plan for Saturday was to hopefully take my roller for its first outing on the queens highway for some 55 years (give or take).

Woke up and it was a super day. And there is no point in having an open car if you don't use it. So the Beetle got relegated.

The chummy is really just a 2 seater pickup. No faffing with opening the boot to load tools etc. Just drop it in the back, a thoroughly convenient motor.   

.jpg   chummy.jpg (Size: 91.39 KB / Downloads: 287)

I wont bore you with the steam content, save to note it went well.

After going home and a quick shower, Mrs Jones and I ventured out to Norton in Hales for a celebratory drink.

.jpg   chummy2.jpg (Size: 96.56 KB / Downloads: 287)

I do enjoy having the chummy.
Yesterday I removed the side water manifold due to a leak on a car that iam currently recommissioning following it being laid up for around 9 year.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good flush that will break this down?

In the past I have had a puggle around with a coat hanger, flush everything through with a pressure washer, filled the system up with water and Fernox, run around for a week and flushed everything out again and what came out was astonishing!

I’m not sure how nasty Fernox is, but it worked well and didn’t appear to cause any damage.
I found a similar build up in the engine I took out of the box, an engine father had apart about 7 or 8 years ago. The rear part of that was blocked.

Father had been using neat water latterly as oil was getting into the water. I changed head and fixed that and used glycol.

The build up had a blue tinge like yours, so its antifreeze based. I soon found a void behind it when poking about. So it was local to the ali (which was actually perforated in spots after a clean - despite not leaking in service)

Probably explained why the swine ran warm.

Is it from mixing antifreeze manufacturers products? or is it a reaction with the ali?