The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
(28-02-2022, 03:02 PM)Bob Culver Wrote: There is a big difference between the original early and late Ruby.The latter has a modicum of brakes and power. Buyers of the 1935 must have been annoyed if they ever drove a Morris 8, or even a Ford y at much the same price, or less.

My early Ruby has a modicum of brakes, and a modicum of power. But only a modicum! I'm happy to drive with no brakes, but the hill climbing ability is not good.

I keep using it though!
I used to think that Ruby brakes were a bit dodgy, until I took to occasionally driving an early Chummy with 6" brakes! Since my Ruby sees much use for doing route planning and recceing for tours and rallies I find its hillclimbing abilities remarkable, occasionally requires first gear but in the last few years I can only recall a single occasion when the passenger had to jump out.
The 4 speed crash box in my RP has a super 1st gear, excellent for hillclimbing. The car will happily climb a 33% incline two up. None of that having to abandon a passeger lark with mine!

3speed 1st = 1:3.25
Crash 1st = 1:4.44
Syncro 1st = 1:4.37
I actually think the Pearl is the most practical Seven we own - I enjoy all of them for a variety of different reasons but the Pearl is right out in front as an all rounder.
(28-02-2022, 07:57 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I actually think the Pearl is the most practical Seven we own - I enjoy all of them for a variety of different reasons but the Pearl is right out in front as an all rounder.

An RP takes some beating. As those who have read my previous posts will know, my own RP has done duty as my daily driver on several occasions, has been totally dependable and risen to the challenge admirably.
I had an RN for 4 years and drove it 60000 miles in that time, not yet owned an RP so I can’t comment or compare it to the Pearl.

What type of Pearl do you have David and do you miss not having a roof that comes right down any more?
I drove my RP as daily transport to work four days out of five, for about four years (snow and ice excepted) and it never let me down. On one occasion I turned into the office car park, and my Secretary (remember when men couldn’t type?) said to her little girl as she walked her to school ‘Look, there’s my boss.’ ‘Can’t he afford a proper car?’ came the reply…
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
Having been lucky enough to have run a number of Sevens, the late RP has all the advantages of a Ruby with traditional Austin looks plus total practicality for use every day.

One Seven I have never owned and really would like to drive on a regular basis would be an RK, but I would be worried it might be a bit flimsy for daily zooming around in.
I've been very satisfied with both the RF fabric saloons I've had. One 1930, the other 29.
My late Ruby went like a rocket, but the engine fell apart.
Jim
(28-02-2022, 10:09 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I had an RN for 4 years and drove it 60000 miles in that time, not yet owned an RP so I can’t comment or compare it to the Pearl.

What type of Pearl do you have David and do you miss not having a roof that comes right down any more?

Ruairidh, I have never owned a Pearl, just 2 RP's and a long wheelbase special, the first RP in the late sixties and the special in the early eighties. However, when I moved to Birmingham in the seventies, I made friends with an elderly gentleman who had owned his '35 Ruby since new. That particular car was a very good and original example, having only covered 60K miles from new and one could appreciate from driving it what they must have been like when current.

However, splendid little car as it was, I never liked it as much as the earlier Long wheelbase saloons, despite it being more civilised in about every department. I think it was Dick Butzi's styling that put me off.

To my way of thinking, the RP combines all the qualities of the early Ruby with the charm and prettiness of the chrome radiator cars.