The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Hi RF

Great stuff. I have old Model Engineers and Drunnond catalogues from around 1930 ex my Dad and similar illustrations. Also a working radial aero engine built on such a lathe! Devising how is much of the satisfaction.
Yesterday being mostly sunny and lovely, I gave the RP an airing. Which was nice.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

No photos Nick, but I did the same up in the Campsie Fells with the Pearl.

I had forgotten what a super car it is to drive, hood down amongst the snow topped hills.
Good to hear Ruairidh.

p.s. I have never understood or subscribed to the view that the 'Jewels' are in any way inferior to other models of Seven. Of all the Sevens I have, the Ruby is, for me, without doubt the best all rounder for everyday use, comfort and enjoyment. 

(Puts on tin helmet and ducks below parapet)
I have always found our Pearl to be the best of all our 7s for year round comfort.
Water and draught proof in winter,and open to the glorious countryside in the 2 days of summer.
do you think they are heavier on maintenance just because they are heavier than the earlier cars, or do you think they get driven differently?
+1 for a Pearl...

The most useable body style ever put on a 7 IHMO...
I was out in the box yesterday, trying to get the timing right as it sounds rough as you touch the throttle, but is nice and smooth as the revs rise.

Comparing it to my Ruby, the RP is a bit more rough and ready and doesn’t feel quite so refined, but does feel a tad quicker even though it’s a low compression motor.
Spent time yesterday sorting the various wood pieces out for the body frame build.  The floor pan is nearing completion.
Looking forward to the build.
Stephen

There is a big difference between the original early and late Ruby.The latter has a modicum of brakes and power. Buyers of the 1935 must have been annoyed if they ever drove a Morris 8, or even a Ford y at much the same price, or less.