The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
"Although with 47,000 views, credit must go to Ian Williams "What have you done today?" thread that set the ball rolling... RR refined the question somewhat as it was more of an invitation to go off piste than this one!

Having checked... it was actually much more focused!

https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...ght=Papier"

Thank you Nick not sure quite why the thread died, I guess Reckless adding "with your Austin 7" is what made the other thread more popular, True credit should go to Austin in the shed who started a thread with the name I used on the old forum.
Black Art Enthusiast
    I don't remember what the original thread was called,I thought I based it on one in the vscc I found interesting called "Today I mostly be". This originally was a TV sketch between Harry Enfield and Paul Woodhouse ,a couple of yokels,about what they had done in the day.As you say Ian it fizzled out.
Today finished this off,been meaning to complete it for sometime.
Excellent work Dave, as ever.
Having had a bit of a 'contretemps' with the modern on Friday evening, when, despite its 4x4 capability, it simply could not cope with a road covered in hailstones as big as marbles and headed for the hedge, with somewhat unfortunate consequences, the Seven is once again being pressed into service as a daily driver (with some support from the Landrover for the 'heavy lifting').

Anyway, I took the little car over the Berwyns to see to the horses this morning. It must have been some hailstorm on Friday night up there! the world is white, not with snow, but melted hailstones.

Incidentally, For some time, I have noticed an occasional miss when pulling hard in second and third Just a single miss of a beat and then carrying on as normal. The other day, I noticed that the end of the HT lead to No:4 plug was trying to come off the end of the lead. AS I had a couple of spares, I crimped a new one on, and the problem seems to have disappeared.

Anyway, pictures of the wild weather here in wildest Wales:

.jpg   S01FI004.JPG (Size: 108.79 KB / Downloads: 397)

At the top of Bwlch-y-Garreg

.jpg   S01FI005.JPG (Size: 106.59 KB / Downloads: 396)

Looking North across the moors.

.jpg   S01FI006.JPG (Size: 121.38 KB / Downloads: 394)

Looking South a couple of miles further on towards Y Bala

.jpg   S01FI007.JPG (Size: 93.36 KB / Downloads: 394)

Looking South from the top of Bwlch-y-Eira

.jpg   S01FI008.JPG (Size: 150.58 KB / Downloads: 396)

Storm Arwen made a bit of a mess of the track up to my home. The remains of a tree that was blown across it and other debris brought down by the winds.
There is a misconception that if you drive a 4x4 you are immune to the effects of adverse road and weather conditions. It is true that generally, traction is improved by having all four wheels driven, but it doesn't automatically manifest in similar improvements to braking and/or steering. The defining factor is the grip (or lack of it) between the tyres and the road surface.

Past experience with collisions involving numpties driving 4x4s usually just means that you crash faster, and with more serious consequences.
(29-11-2021, 12:23 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: There is a misconception that if you drive a 4x4 you are immune to the effects of adverse road and weather conditions. It is true that generally, traction is improved by having all four wheels driven, but it doesn't automatically manifest in similar improvements to braking and/or steering. The defining factor is the grip (or lack of it) between the tyres and the road surface.

Past experience with collisions involving numpties driving 4x4s usually just means that you crash faster, and with more serious consequences.

Fortunately, Bruce, I was driving to the prevailing road and weather conditions and was travelling less that 30 mph when the car (a Panda 4x4 on winter tyres) lost grip on the road covered in hailstones as big as marbles. I estimate that I hit the edge of the road at about 15mph, no more. There is no panel damage, just the front plastic bumper and the front wishbone, which broke off at the ball joint, so the car is eminently repairable

I replaced my Polo with the smallest and most economical 4x4 I could find simply because, where I live it is easy to get completely cut off in winter weather and the Landrover is somewhat greedy with diesel (currently £1.56 per litre locally) and is used only for the heavy fetching and carrying.
Glad to hear you're OK and the Panda will soon be back up and running again soon. Whether you have two wheel drive, four wheel drive, winter, summer or cross country tyres the over-riding and governing factors are Newtons Laws of motion. In winter conditions, the one which tends to take precedence is the First, which states:

"A body will remain at rest or continue to travel in a straight line at a fixed speed unless acted upon by an external force or forces."

In lay man's terms this means that the hole in the wall is always just after the apex of the bend.

If you're sliding on ice (or any wet, greasy or loose surface), steering, braking, ABS, ESP, 4 wheel drive, cruise control or leather upholstery won't make any difference. You're going to go straight on until the tyres regain their grip or you hit something. If there is residual grip, you get understeer but you're still going to hit the wall if you're going fast enough, just a bit further round the bend.

It does help to know the capabilities of your particular 4x4 vehicle, what it can do and more importantly, what it can't. When a Sgt in Traffic I was sent to help a colleague who had got a Ford Transit stuck in a field. The rear end was down to the diff in mud. The poor lad, who was crapping himself thinking he was going to get put on a fizzer for his deeds put forward the mitigation "Well Sarge, I've put it in 4WD but it won't shift". (it was a Ford "County with 3 litre V6 and a 4WD system). I got him to walk round to the front of the van, and showed him how to engage the hub locks on the front axle." Now try it, Lad."

It drove out without a hitch. (cue eye roll emoticon)
Or as I used to say, "He was going too fast for the conditions, your honour" To which the magistrate would reply, "Thank you officer, Guilty"
Aye, them were t'days. When men were men and sheep were nervous.
Where can I get a TTConversions pressure fed nosepeice as per the one in the picture ???