The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
The conventional (positive) camber on Sevens is considerable and the outer side does wear more. Roads have far less camber than formerly so shows on both tyres. If the tyres are at all old and hard it is no mean feat to reverse them.
David, re your indicator lights, I encountered exactly the same problem with the bulbs flopping about in their holders and thought the issue was that I was using LED bulbs.
I ended up wrapping the holder with the bulb in place with a couple of turns of insulating tape to hold the bulb in position. I had reasoned that with the LED lights there would not be a temperature problem especially with intermittent use, however any sparkies out there who know better please advise a novice.
Have had a look at the AES site and there are numerous options of holders on offer, can I please ask which you purchased, I have not stripped my indicator lights out again but will do and may replace with a permanent fix as you describe.
Many thanks for the article
Denis S
Success!  After some hic ups both procedural and IT technical now have V5 with period number and MSUK Period Definded Vehicle Identity Form (log book).
Thank you to all who helped if you are reading this. You know who you are.

.jpg   Bo'ness@Forrestburn.jpg (Size: 80.58 KB / Downloads: 406)
(29-10-2021, 09:49 AM)Denis Sweeney Wrote: David, re your indicator lights, I encountered exactly the same problem with the bulbs flopping about in their holders and thought the issue was that I was using LED bulbs.
I ended up wrapping the holder with the bulb in place with a couple of turns of insulating tape to hold the bulb in position. I had reasoned that with the LED lights there would not be a temperature problem especially with intermittent use, however any sparkies out there who know better please advise a novice.
Have had a look at the AES site and there are numerous options of holders on offer, can I please ask which you purchased, I have not stripped my indicator lights out again but will do and may replace with a permanent fix as you describe.
Many thanks for the article
Denis S

Denis, the bulb holders that i got were the single BA15 holders with two screw connections, one for the lamp feed and one for the earth. From the invoice, they are: Stock No: 132004; Bulb Holder-BA15-2 Screws. @ 3.92 each.
I am afraid all I have managed to do on the Austin is cut some flowers from the garden and put them in the dashboard mounted vase ready for our local end of season run tomorrow.
I shall look forward to seeing your garden tomorrow, Dave! All I've done to my Austin is check fluid levels.
Today the Ruby was taken out on test. Thanks are due to forumists who have made helpful comments on what has become quite a long job, which is that polite old fashioned way of saying a very long series of jobs.  What had sounded like a run big end turned out to be a loose camshaft due to the departure of the stud locating the front bronze bush. Drillings and tapping the bearing in situ was pushed aside by concern about damage in the crankcase and removal of camshaft. No obvious signs of damage but a chipped lobe at the driven, rear, end, so camshaft replacement seemed sensible, which inevitably meant  happy hours very carefully using grinding paste.  After putting it all back together turning over seemed very stiff, so off with the big ends to discover one shell scored, was this caused by lobe chips? One can only hope and pray that old skills with engineers blue and the scraper have not wholly departed, after slow and careful attention it turned over smoothly. Running the engine with it just sitting  in the car showed no signs to be afraid of, so the only way to find out if all was now OK was to get it  out on the highway. A few more jolly hours and we've done short journeys, so putting that vast carapace of front bodywork is next and then serious road miles. Naturally, with a certain Chummy project in the workshop, timber had to be purchased to build a temporary gantry for the chain block to lift out the engine......and all other work delayed although the domestic authorities have been very tolerant. 

[attachment=15655

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Unless otherwise worn (significantly reduced lift) would not worry about. The loading still less than with strong springs and all oils now possess anti wear additives likely not included in oils of the 30s and certtinly not when Sevens began.
Thanks David, much appreciated
I'm sure they didn't have to do it like this in the factory...