The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Can see Mr. Dunford Snr. but still not working for me.
Working in Suffolk

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(15-09-2021, 05:00 PM)JonE Wrote: so how did you manage the float chamber with the angle of the carb? Its not a usual one... great idea.

The SU carb is a 30 degree downdraught.  Mounting it below the exhaust manifold required a different float chamber with the mounting the other way round.  The angled SU float chambers are left or right handed, it was a case of getting the correct one.   In order to keep the fuel level in the float chamber correct, an aluminium spacer was made to go between the carb body and the float chamber mounting. A new longer fixing bolt had to be made.  It was very straightforward but I had a skilled engineer friend make the spacer and new fixing bolt.
The inlet manifold is a modern 30 degree downdraught produced by Alan Raeburn, simply turned upside down.
I like the fact that the carb is not affected by heat from the exhaust, any fuel leakage is also away from the hot exhaust, the installation looks period and the carb does not protrude through the bonnet.
Trying again to post a picture...

.jpg   IMG_1869s.jpg (Size: 637.67 KB / Downloads: 546)

....nope
Posting an image test ..........

Seems to be working for me, though it took longer than usual to initially 'Add Attachment'. 'Insert Into Post' was instant.

Apple Mac / OS 11.4 Big Sur / Safari 14.1.1

What I have done this morning on behalf of an Austin Seven, is get some timber from the builders merchants to construct a temporary gantry for the chain block to lift the engine out of the Ruby to find out how much damage the deranged camshaft has caused  and to repair it. What fun. A question to the polymathic forumists who between them know almost every thing, what does one do with a large and rather dozy hornet, very visible before I put the back seat in.
Steve, The answer to your question is ‘To swat it but if you miss be prepared to leave the area rather quickly’

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
No asian hornets but...

[Image: DSCN1032.jpg]

(it was insulated plasterboard sheets so not very heavy)

That was Dec 2016 - We now have concrete.
Reckers, I think if I saw that driving along a UK road it must be worth a pull over and check. It may be light in weight but what about winds and vehicle slip stream.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
John, you'd have had to catch me first.

It actually looks a lot worse than it was. Most of it was polystyrene.

Smile