The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Out with the Chummy today on the North Herts PWA7C run. Lovely meander from Baldock Services (OK, maybe not so lovely) to the Henry Moore Foundation at Perry Green (very lovely).

Just for a flavour... Here is Paul and Michelle Lawrence on their way through the ford in their Arrows, followed by Stuart and Caroline Jenkins, fresh from TOTIE (yup, I had to ask too...)*

*The Only Tour is Essex

Another resounding competition victory for the Seven! The VMC weekend always includes the Cotswold Rally aka Ian Grace's Scatter. Teams of Morris Minors compete with Sevens for the Lewis Nicholson Trophy. For a number of years it has been my duty to report that Sevens have won, and this year no blushing modesty prevents me from recording another trophy win. Drivers Colin Bromley and Adrian Bradshaw look cheerful at the lunchstop whilst navvies attempt further plotting. Not sure whether Thomas Gray would have called Austin crew doing hasty repairs "hoary headed swains" because they were working in a country churchyard. Due to the camshaft failure of this writer's Ruby, Bromley's Chummy completed the day three up, at no point defeated by ascending hills, however descents three up when still with six inch brakes can be a little alarming. Sudeley Hill involved coming to a halt at the top, and then going down in first.
Two beautiful Chummies in lovely used condition...my ideal!
I had forgotten that my wife needed my modern all this week ... 8 foot long 2" x 2" timber will just fit in the Austin but I was glad it wasn't raining!

Who needs an MPV?
Yesterday we returned home from the Northumberland coast after a few days break.  I was pleased to find that a group of eight cars from the Bristol and Cornwall Clubs were staying on the same camp site at Beadnell Bay, enjoying a touring holiday.  Here they are about to set off on a 85 mile day trip to Alston.   Many of the cars had dogs as passengers, including the Pearl which had two Border Collies, one an adult dog and the other a pup.  My other half Margaret asked me why I never took our two Border Collies out in the Austins.   I told her that it would not be fair on them with the noise, cramped seating etc.  The truth is that if Gus was in the front he would want to sit on my lap and if he was in the back I would probably get his breakfast down the back of my neck.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(13-09-2021, 09:33 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Who needs an MPV?
Indeed - a large estate car is far more versatile.
We ventured out 3 up in the chummy to the Etruscan Bone and Flint Mill at Eturia on Sunday to their classic car doo.

We had not been to the mill since the rear passenger was 12 months old. She is now 12 years old.

We found that someone had painted Gumdrop maroon, and an RP yellow. The RP lived nearby under a tarp as the owner lived on a narrow boat on the cut.

[Image: 241752042_10224166288199478_309304383081...e=61659D4C]

I found stopping the clutch pedal rattling, and some rubber on the bonnet shuts cured 90% of the noise in the car. We even tried it hood up on the way home.
Except for front leg room and the cosy proximity of the passenger the RP feels less cocooned than many later small cars as the bodywork is not close to head and torso. The rear is comfortable for one adult in the centre as inded bt then no side support. the floor wells aresmall fro two adult feet. cf A30 etc
Curiously despite sloping screen and lesser cross section the early Ruby seems to have about the same top speed.
This afternoon I have had the engine in the sprint special running for the first time on its updraught 1" SU carb set-up.   As the engine was running without any coolant it was only for a brief period but first impressions are that it is extremely responsive and free revving.  Running without an exhaust except the 4 into 1 Pigsty manifold the noise was shattering.  Fortunately most of my neighbours in the churchyard opposite are dead!
Many thanks to those Forum contributors who advised me on the carburettor set-up.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)