The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Hi Nick and Steve

The topic of removing the block in place was canvassed here about a year ago. The overwhwlming advice was to remove the engine. Especially if oil baffles fitted. Depends also on state of ones back.
I wanted to lift my block in situ so as to remove the square headed cam shaft bolt. I got the rearmost nut off using a doctored 13mm crow's foot socket on the end of a long extension. Just room to shift one flat at a time.
(06-08-2021, 03:57 PM)Colin Wilks Wrote: I wanted to lift my block in situ so as to remove the square headed cam shaft bolt. I got the rearmost nut off using a doctored 13mm crow's foot socket on the end of a long extension. Just room to shift one flat at a time.

When faced with the same problem, I removed the corners off the bolt with a dremmel. Then undid it with a molegrips. Didn't touch the block. Covered the coachwork in some bed sheets, and stuffed rags down either side of the cam gear. Lots of cleaning too.
Rags the mechanic’s friend, Hedd. Remembered yesterday after a spanner tried to escape between the crankcase and the flywheel. Having extracted the little bugger with the help of the dear lady wife, rags were inserted, though not tightened up with the aid of a caulking mallet which would have been over-reacting.
Hi All

I’ve become acutely aware of how little the Special can carry. So I’ve spent the last few days making a boot rack.  I had lots of tube left over from an old tent like cover which was already bent to radius. So I was able to cut and shut, brazing it together. Slats are white oak from the builders merchant but I had to plane them down and stain them.

The red/black cable to the centre tail light is temporary and will be swapped for some more period looking armoured cable.

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files
.jpeg   9DDD2D6A-4D55-499E-99A3-A06D40FABDB1.jpeg (Size: 147.65 KB / Downloads: 351)
Won't it whistle at those speeds you achieve Howard? If you sharpen the leading edges you might get three notes!
Hi Duncan

They are planed to an aero foil section for more down forces on the tyres  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin.

Cheers

Howard
Good show, keep at least three wheels in contact!

.jpg   seve n interior headlining rear window.jpg (Size: 67.12 KB / Downloads: 304)
The inside is just about finished now.

(MG rally at Pateley Bridge tomorrow)

Today I saw many Austin Sevens. They go up hills very quickly, and their knowledgeable and sociable owners talk a great deal. The cheerful chap is Eddie Loader, Herefordshire's Seven technical guru.