The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
For the first time, we've had two cars out together. The event was to support the Baslow Village Junior School's Charity Appeal. A very catholic turn out from a lovely 1924 Lagonda, several Alvis, Aston Martin, Rolls Royce and Bentley cars from the 1920s to the 1950s, HRG, 2-stroke Saab, Ford V8, TR6s and a Fiat 500, around fifty vehicles in all. Here's the meeting at the jumping-off point at the Bridge Inn, Calver.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I left mine at home, saw this excellent example at Goodwood:

Hi Simon

Lovely! Shame about the seats. Hope they aren’t a harbinger of a full restoration.

Cheers

Howard
This more "done to" than "done with" my Austin today, but I completed the engine rebuild. I just need to sort out inlet and exhaust manifolds and I shall be able to try it out. I plan on using a bunch of bananas exhaust and a tubular inlet manifold for the SU carburettor.

Regards,

Jamie.
Hi All

Filled up the Brookfields with E5 from Tesco.  It’s only the second consecutive time so I could calculate the mpg relatively accurately. Rather chuffed with the result….

Which for those that don’t know is the answer to the ultimate question…..is this auspicious ???.

(For those that have not read “The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy”….you should ?)

Cheers

Howard
(12-07-2021, 03:39 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi All

Filled up the Brookfields with E5 from Tesco.  It’s only the second consecutive time so I could calculate the mpg relatively accurately. Rather chuffed with the result….

Which for those that don’t know is the answer to the ultimate question…..is this auspicious ???.

(For those that have not read “The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy”….you should ?)

Cheers

Howard

Which only goes to show that the answer to life, the universe, everything is actually ..... An Austin Seven! (or perhaps 6 of them?)
According to Pomeroy, "All cars do 25 m.p.g." - so you're well ahead of the game.
Also, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurence_Pomeroy for more details of this gifted engineer.
John Vessey told me years ago that vintage cars did either 10,22 or 30mpg.
Alan Fairless
Here an astonishing 80% of new vehicle sales are utes, especially twin cab, and SUVs. (A huge number of used Jap cars imported) The consumption cllimed for the heavy utes , fully the equal of giant vintage and 1930s cars, is truly astonishing. Typically 7 litres  per 100km in the infuriating local measure, or divide into 282 to get MPG. My inherited Jazz has a readout of km per litre so on journeys I am not stcck for entertainment mentally converting to mpg and adding in the reading error. Typically exceeds 45mpg for all running quite laden wichi takes the edge of my 1964 car which does 30 or 22 around town (but vastly  more satisfying  to drive).
Hi,
Given I've ended up with a few days off work courtesy of the Covid police for being too near someone who may have been positive, I've set to re-plating the Nippy headlamp reflectors with a silver plating painting kit I picked up cheap years ago. One is done and looks tons better than it did. Not sure if I'll get the other one done before my wife reappears and wonders why I've not been doing jobs round the house.
Hopefully, the second one won't take as long now that I know what I'm doing (I think!) - maybe she'll go out again tomorrow?...
Best wishes,
Nick