The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Today, I have said a prayer of thanks to the Big Man for saving the contents of the garage. We have had a phenomenal tempest of a storm here this afternoon, there is damage all over the area. Sadly, a 150 year old oak tree in our garden decided to succumb to the forces of nature and a huge branch, some 2' in diameter came crashing down, taking the gable end and roof of my garage with it. Fortunately no-one was injured and the valuable contents of the garage were unscathed. The tree, however will need the attention of a tree surgeon (the insurance will see to that) and may have to be completely felled as I suspect the remainder is leaning, towards the garage.

[Image: 20210620-150154-1.jpg]

[Image: 20210620-145359-1.jpg]

[Image: 20210620-145444-1.jpg]

More storms coming, apparently. Such is life in the Cévennes.

The structure appears sound, but if you look closely at the second photo you can see a horizontal crack across the gable end.
A lucky escape !
I’m envious of your seemingly large garage space…
Ahh a lick of paint and she will be roight Mr Fawlty!
One hour!

The garage is 8m by 8m or 26'3" x 26'3" in proper measures, with a half attic and a mezzanine. I've just had a good look and the structure seems OK so I reckon I would get away with replacing a couple of rows of tiles. We'll see what Mr AXA says in the morning. Local news shows lots of damage so I might have to be creative in getting the garage sorted quickly. The tree can wait.
Pah! If you want a tree on your workshop you need a proper English one. Not a puny French effort!

This arrived on mine in August 2019. 

(Rekkers - Very glad the damage is not too severe and that all will be well.)

Thanks, Duncan, for that safety tip. Well spotted. Will think more carefully about stability on the jack next time.
Lucky escape Reckers
I had a hefty (3ft diameter) willow come down next to my spares shed. As the root ball lifted it upended the shed and the contents slid into the gaping hole.
By the time I got back from work some hours later Mrs P had been to B&Q, bought some crates and had sifted through the dirt and debris to reclaim small items that she neither knew what they were, nor for that matter usually cared. The tree surgery bill was eyewatering, but thankfully covered by insurance, as was the shed.
[attachment=14290]
To prove the sun does shine this picture was taken on 16 June on the quayside Orford Suffolk, we had our first outing in the AE Chummy.
Joe
Lovely photo of the Chummy Joe.

I've been using the special most days for the last three weeks. Over 400 miles so far, commuting, shopping, even bringing black bags of rubbish home from the workshop. Really enjoying it, especially as I have rarely needed a coat.

(20-06-2021, 09:57 PM)Charles P Wrote: By the time I got back from work some hours later Mrs P had been to B&Q, bought some crates and had sifted through the dirt and debris to reclaim small items that she neither knew what they were, nor for that matter usually cared.  

It's in the genes, Charles. Whatever she might say, some have obviously passed over from her Father Smile

Steve