The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
John, make your own insert, take a 3/8 set screw or bolt, drill and tap the centre 1/4 
Then tap your block 3/8, screw in your insert and your good to go. I hate Helicoils.
My ARQ Ruby had odd brakes as purchased with semi girling at the rear and lozenge back plate hubs on the fronts, which were fitted to very late ARQ’s.
So have converted fronts to semi girling to match the rears. All have been rebuilt with the later front axle and radius arms and new linings, bearings, levers, bushes etc
So today completed boxing up re-balanced the whole system then took her out for test run, brakes on first run out do appear a significant improvement and all ran well.
However, I now have now gained a not insignificant squeal which I didn’t have before, no doubt I have missed a point somewhere along the line, any advice greatly appreciated
Cheers Denis S
Having worked at a number of engineering companys over many years .
I have fitted lots of helicoils and always believed them to spread the forces more evenly .this may explain it better.https://media.boellhoff.com/files/pdf12/helicoil-kits-repair-solutions-en-0180.pdf
On some new build equipment they were fitted as standard.
Andy

(09-03-2021, 08:53 PM)Denis Sweeney Wrote: My ARQ Ruby had odd brakes as purchased with semi girling at the rear and lozenge back plate hubs on the fronts, which were fitted to very late ARQ’s.
So have converted fronts to semi girling to match the rears. All have been rebuilt with the later front axle and radius arms and new linings, bearings, levers, bushes etc
So today completed boxing up re-balanced the whole system then took her out for test run, brakes on first run out do appear a significant improvement and all ran well.
However, I now have now gained a not insignificant squeal which I didn’t have before, no doubt I have missed a point somewhere along the line, any advice greatly appreciated
Cheers Denis S

What colour brake linings do you have Denis?
Wow, unexpected question, sort of a yellow beige colour purchased from A7 Components.
I did file off the leading edges, prior to fitting.
Denis S
I have that type fitted to rear of my Chummy - they work very well but do the same thing.
(09-03-2021, 10:02 PM)Stumpi Wrote: Having worked at a number of engineering companys  over many years .
I have fitted lots of helicoils and always believed them to spread the forces more evenly .this may explain it better.https://media.boellhoff.com/files/pdf12/helicoil-kits-repair-solutions-en-0180.pdf
On some new build equipment they were fitted as standard.
Andy

I find them very useful too.

The approach suggested by Zeto works but is difficult if you want to to only increase by the smallest increment. My rule for rescuing damaged threads is to never make the original hole any bigger than absolutely necessary 

c
Today I have opened the door to the garage and looked at my chummy under the cover siting dormant. Sad looking like it needs to go for a drive, but as it is winter in the states and we are expected to get 2 more feet of snow it will just have to wait for summer.
Had abandoned woodie (front van tank) with fuel starvation issues a few months ago, as lockdown prevented jollies. Removed the larger inline filter yesterday and put in a section of copper pipe. Managed a few rounds of the estate roads at Mum's and all appears well. Too fast though! Now wondering whether the 375 enduro tyres all round are contributing to it feeling ponderous on corners, now the tracking is correct. Have some 350 Avons to swap over as part of trials. Long-unused 4-speed Clutch release bearing not responding to oiling. A bit noisy but operating fine. Any other actions to try there?
Earplugs?