The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
(30-01-2021, 10:56 PM)Charles P Wrote: Finished a new engine side panel. The old steel one had round holes for ventilation which didn't look very vintage so I made a replacement in aluminium with some louvres made with tooling inspired by Mark Atkinson's excellent work on Slippery Ann

Next step is to go for louvres in the top of the bonnet as per some supercharged cars in period. Lots of work though! Was done on our one a long time ago and for some reason I always think Ulsters look odd without them.

[Image: 4705833186_1717390963_c.jpg]
(01-02-2021, 07:10 PM)austin Wrote:
(30-01-2021, 10:56 PM)Charles P Wrote: Finished a new engine side panel. The old steel one had round holes for ventilation which didn't look very vintage so I made a replacement in aluminium with some louvres made with tooling inspired by Mark Atkinson's excellent work on Slippery Ann

Next step is to go for louvres in the top of the bonnet as per some supercharged cars in period. Lots of work though! Was done on our one a long time ago and for some reason I always think Ulsters look odd without them.

Austin

Thanks. I know why your car has the louvred bonnet top. 
Aside from lack of ability I'm not going there because I can actually only think of one period car with louvres on the top, and I've never intended to slavish copy any specific car. There may have been more but I don't know them.

Charles
A bit of use will probably wake your dynamo up Hugh, one of our Sevens takes about 1/4 mile a mile to come to life if it hasn't been used for a while.
The Cabriolet has a Dynamator fitted as an experiment. It always has had a slight tendancy to take a while to start charging, even when I was using the car regularly.
(02-02-2021, 10:11 AM)Dave Mann Wrote: A bit of use will probably wake your dynamo up Hugh, one of our Sevens takes about 1/4 mile a mile to come to life if it hasn't been used for a while.

My SWB Saloon does the same. Fully re-built 6v dynamo with original CF1 cut out with good connections and good earth. Just one of those things and it's never bothered me. 

Steve
(02-02-2021, 12:15 PM)Hugh Barnes Wrote: The Cabriolet has a Dynamator fitted as an experiment. It always has had a slight tendancy to take a while to start charging, even when I was using the car regularly.

Mine does that, and its not because the battery is charged either. When it kicks in, its usually at the 20amp end of the meter
My observed behaviour exactly, Hedd... The charge rate soon drops away..
Well I've had an exciting Austin 7 day without driving one.

I got my first 7(an RN saloon) about this time last year after watching the VSCC Derbyshire trial and deciding I wanted to have a go.  The car I got was lovely and in great condition, but most people seemed to think it was much too nice to take on a trial and an RN saloon probably wasn't the best choice (and there weren't many trials last year for obvious reasons).  So a month or so ago I decided i should sell it and get something more suitable for trials.  The car sold immediately and as I had mentioned in my ad that I would be interested in a more "trials" Austin 7 in part ex or to buy outright I was contacted by a few owners with cars to sell.  
A nice little red special took my interest but it wasn't exactly what I wanted (because it would need many bits changing to keep the VSCC happy) and it was a non runner needing engine work, but I thought a project might be fun.  Just as I was about to make an offer, the chap selling it mentioned he also had a blue boat tail car that he might also sell, but which also needed work, having not been on the road for many years.  That threw me a bit, because nice as the red one was, I think the blue one was probably more what I needed - and it had been with the owner for about 35 years and he was the second registered keeper - so I liked the idea of it's history.  To cut to the chase, I ended up collecting both cars today.  As they were 250 miles away I wanted to try to get them both on my smallish trailer, and with a bit of invention and lashing extra planks onto the trailer it worked - both home undamaged!  Now the fun starts and I'll start to see what I've actually got..

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That's a nice pair; one for show and one for go, perhaps?
They're both non runners at the minute but for different reasons, so I think I'll temporarily swap bits from the red one to the blue one to get it on the road whilst I recondition the blue one's worn bits. The red one needs an engine rebuild which might be a longer term project. I intended to only keep one in the long term, but I'll see how I feel once they're both driveable. I've got a wife and two daughters, so maybe having a couple of 2 seater 7s would be good for family outings!

First job will be to find out what bits I don't have on each car, and find out where to get them from !

I intend to have at least one of them roadworthy by Easter. (I'm told having targets is good..)