The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Sorted out my engine rattle on my big seven,  the other day I fitted new rings, gudgeon pins, shell bearings only to start it and find I still had a slight rattle however much improved oil pressure, pulled the engine back apart today and found the hole for the wrist pin on piston 4 was for some reason more oval than round (only on one side) so I drilled out the hole slightly bigger, and made a bush using an old drill and plenty of files and some steel pipe and a lot of patience, it's not professional but it's cheap (go easy on me I'm only 19) ha 

https://youtu.be/nSgvYMGY83o
Well done!
Ingenuity is admirable. Not the sort of thing done without a lathe although nothing is impossible. But it is not a robust part of the engine, and thin wall bushes tend to hammer out. Another rod should not be hard to locate as not limited by state of the white metal as many earlier small Seven. It is important that the gudgeon pin moves easily in the piston. And that correct HT pinch bolts used. many report cracks extending down from the slit; Big Seven slightly different but beware anyway. do the pistons extract from below?
They can but are an absolute bleeder to get out, and the gudgeon pin moves absolutely free, no stiffness at all, the bush has a key on it that I left sticking out to ensure it can't drift out too, it should last a fair while, they were finished with wet and dry paper too, they're absolutely perfectly smooth, with no measurable taper either
Not long got back from taking my great-grandson Leon over to stay with his brother in Mold. He helped me give the RP a good service on Sunday which has helped him with the car's anatomy. So, he insisted that we took the Seven. It's about 40 miles each way from Bala to Mold, so eighty-something miles covered in total. I am ceaselessly amazed at just how reliable a well maintained Seven can be. although driving back in the dark on 24 watt headlamps requires considerable concentration!
Photo 
Headed up Deeside and into Glen Muick to take advantage of the promised wall to wall sunshine. Not disappointed!

Ian
Superb!
Spent a happy hour cleaning up the Gas and Ignition levers' plate, bending the arms back into their correct positions and trying to make the bits that go inside them. All I need now are the springs....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(05-11-2020, 09:58 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: Spent a happy hour cleaning up the Gas and Ignition levers' plate, bending the arms back into their correct positions and trying to make the bits that go inside them. All I need now are the springs....

Look inside a retractable, throw-away ball point pen, Tony.
Pretty certain I found suitable ones in there

Charles
(06-11-2020, 12:21 AM)Charles P Wrote:
(05-11-2020, 09:58 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: Spent a happy hour cleaning up the Gas and Ignition levers' plate, bending the arms back into their correct positions and trying to make the bits that go inside them. All I need now are the springs....

Look inside a retractable, throw-away ball point pen, Tony.
Pretty certain I found suitable ones in there

Charles
Thanks, Charles. I've just tried one but, unfortunately it's too weak. I do have a box of assorted springs but, again, not one is up to the job. I've ordered one or two from eBay that, hopefully, will do the job.