The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
(09-08-2020, 04:19 PM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: I was following your progress on Resultsman, Steve.   Looks as if it was a good day at Shelsley.

More importantly Steve, in timed runs, you beat Dan. Make the most of it; it doesn't happen often!
54.50 at Shelsley in an unblown Class 1 Austin is a pretty fine time. 

c
That’s pretty good as Charles said. But, isn’t it steep?! Harewood is a far better place to be from a driving point of view, but just for being there, competing, Shelsley is unbeatable.
Alan Fairless
(09-08-2020, 04:53 PM)Charles P Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 04:19 PM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: I was following your progress on Resultsman, Steve.   Looks as if it was a good day at Shelsley.

More importantly Steve, in timed runs, you beat Dan. Make the most of it; it doesn't happen often!
54.50 at Shelsley in an unblown Class 1 Austin is a pretty fine time. 

c

That I beat Dan for once hasn't escaped me Charles but a win's a win and thank you very much. 

He was trying though

.jpg   Shelsley 2020 - 2 comp.jpg (Size: 22.42 KB / Downloads: 706)

However, if you turn up in new overalls there's a good chance you'll upset the racing gods so what did he expect!!

Yes, Alan, it is steep and, to be honest, not that technical in a Class 1 Ulster with the exception of Bottom S. Keep planted and pointed is how it is for the rest. Harewood and Loton take a lot more thinking about but that's the beauty of our wonderful sport.  

Steve
To the stalwart soul driving a Box Saloon down the A49 near Bromfield this morning, the cheerful wave from a 2CV going North was not merely being polite, but the driver was on MADS duties. This is Marches Austin Distribution Service, where the Citroen whizzes about exchanging tyres, crankcases and other vital components between Seven owners. Another time you could flag me down and see if you might need a rusty cylinder block, a sort of "Stop Me and Buy One" only not for ice cream.
This evening I removed the sump on my pearl, and discovered that it had a good coating of sludge within it. The car has recently had a bad oil leak, which I have narrowed down to the finger tight valve chest or the rather loose dynamo housing.

The concern I have is the sludge, my temptation is to while the sump is off give all the oil jets a clean out with brake/carb cleaner before I reassemble along with the oil pump.

The car has always had a good oil pressure but my concern now is this because its been full of sludge?
Made the most of the slightly (and I mean slightly) cooler weather this morning to have a run out in the RP. Keeping away from the main roads which are full of holiday traffic at the moment, I did a round robin via La Grand' Combe, Champclauson, the Chateau de Portes and back. Paused for a quick comfort break en route with a photo op.

Went shopping in the RN and just before I put her back into the garage, thought - Sounds a bit "throaty" for a 7. Quick inspection showed the tail pipe had detached from the silencer, fortunately the exhaust clamp was still there. Simple repair except none of the 7s spanners fitted!! Takes us back to the discussion as to wether we should use non BSW/BSF nuts and bolts on our 7s. And of course, the "U' bolt of the clamp is metric!
I wheeled mine out of the workshop with every intention of going to the Post Office and it started raining 5 minutes later, I went in the tin top.
Today the sun was shining, so to put a few more miles on the seven we went to Thirsk on some little roads. about 45 miles round trip and that makes 244 miles done since everything was re-built.

Stopping at Canal garage at Boroughbridge for petrol I asked him to see it it would take 2 or 3 gallons. Nineteen litres later the tank was full and as I put the filler cap on we saw the leak. It was pouring out petrol under the tank somewhere. I dived under and put my finger over the open pipe on the tank. He brought a draining tray out and I took my finger off to let about half a cup more petrol out, then it stopped. Does the overflow always pour a couple of litres on the floor if you brim the tank?

Anyway, the sun shone and we had a good afternoon out.
I put a cylinder head into a bath of White Vinegar to give its insides a clean.
It will stay in its bath for a few days before pressure washing off and coating with Duck Oil.