The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Further investigation of the Pytchley engine showed that the centre stud is sound but I do remember having trouble with it in the distant past.   My problem seems to be that I had fitted a low comp head which had been milled at an angle.  This was not sitting comfortably on the block.
To cut a long story short, I decided to change the cylinder head.  Looking in the spares department, my options were as follows:
Standard low comp head - several but all needing fettling before use
Standard late Ruby  head - tried this before, engine suffered plug oiling.
Dante aluminium head - new unused - virtually no combustion chamber!
Aluminium Ricardo head - very tempted but it didn't want to slide easily over the head studs (The head is right, my head studs obviously are not!)
Bronze Ulster head - previously fitted on the RL - not too high a comp ratio, bearing in mind that the engine has a standard crank.

I opted for the bronze Ulster head, tightened it down and fired the engine up.  Whereas before the engine sounded quite sedate it is now a snarling monster, despite having a civilised exhaust system with an Austin Metro silencer.
I need to do some work on the radiator drain tap before using the car.   I am a bit worried that the exhaust note might attract undue attention!
Having a few errands to do, and feeling that the loss of flexibility, no bottom end power, I retarded the ignition timing a bit. This was just by guesswork but yes it seems to run better. Another 20 miles or so in the sunshine.

Then the speedo went mad. Sometimes it was ok, then would sweep right around to maximum and back. I'm happy to strip the speedo and fix it, but can it be removed without taking out the instrument panel? I don't really want to undo the choke cable and starter pull wire, and the oils pressure gauge pipe etc etc. Can I get the speedo out on it's own???
(07-08-2020, 10:10 PM)andrew34ruby Wrote: Then the speedo went mad. Sometimes it was ok, then would sweep right around to maximum and back. I'm happy to strip the speedo and fix it, but can it be removed without taking out the instrument panel? I don't really want to undo the choke cable and starter pull wire, and the oils pressure gauge pipe etc etc. Can I get the speedo out on it's own???

I think you probably can. I had to change mine recently but also a broken ignition switch so pulling the panel forward was unavoidable. It is probably worth checking the cable as I believe the flick can be symptomatic of a momentary stick and release. 

To keep on topic,  I have been repairing the cracks and splits in the Silverstone's bonnet. Fibreglass resin doesn't hang about at 30+ degrees Centigrade...
I think Nick’s right, the cable is the likely culprit Andrew, I would take it out and spin it up gently with a cordless drill while carefully bending the cable and checking to see if it snags.
(08-08-2020, 12:19 PM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: I think Nick’s right, the cable is the likely culprit Andrew, I would take it out and spin it up gently with a cordless drill while carefully bending the cable and checking to see if it snags.

At one time the car was stationary, and the speedo at 40 mph. Can't see it being the cable. But thanks for the ideas.
Ah! Unlikely to be the cable then!

Incidentally, I think you can get the speedo out without pulling the dash, but it’s a tight squeeze and small hands would help to undo the knurled nut on the back of the clamp, but it’s not impossible.
From Thursday afternoon

.jpg   Steve RR comp.jpg (Size: 18.5 KB / Downloads: 217)

To Saturday afternoon.

.jpg   Shelsely 2020 - 1 comp.jpg (Size: 20.11 KB / Downloads: 219)

The world hasn't ended yet after all. Happy, happy days Big Grin Big Grin

Steve
And the time was ??????
Alan Fairless
Best 54.57 but I did 54.50 in practice. My first time competing at Shelsley. Before the event, looking at times from previous VSCC and Bert Hadley events/rounds, I thought that if I could get under the minute I'd be happy so quite pleased. 

Mad hot day but enjoyed every minute.

Steve
I was following your progress on Resultsman, Steve.   Looks as if it was a good day at Shelsley.