The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
I think you may have to reload that photograph Bruce, unless it’s my valve driven iPad of course!
I've got some king of a glitch between my phone and the computer and the only way to transfer photos is to e-mail them to myself. Sometimes it works, other times I lose part of the transfer. I have tried several times with this one and it still comes out part corrupted. C'est la vie!
Oh, I like the yellow drape below your photo - Anyway, well done for proving the Austin more than capable.
Screen shot taken from the video. Shows one of the hairpins on the climb.

(01-08-2020, 10:24 AM)MartinH Wrote: Not a good idea to mix led and conventional bulbs  on the indicators. The filament in an incandescent bulb provides a leakage to earth that will needs diodes to allow the leds on the same circuit. The leds also require a low current flasher unit so you really can't mix them. Get an led flaher unit and fit led bulbs all round.
Good advice — then you can de rate you dynamo output plus run all day with headlights etc on which helps others see you. Bikers do it plus just about everybody else these days. Just make sure you LEDs are well earthed.
Finally managed to upload the video. here's the link (I hope!)

It's a bit noisy because I was in 1st gear all the way up

https://youtu.be/g_OPidAN0OE
Splendid effort!   I take it you have the crash 4 speed gearbox with the crawler ratios?   My RL with its 4.9 axle wouldn't look at that hill.
In terms of steepness, I think the top of Old Wyche in Malvern might rival it, but that is only a short stretch of road in comparison.   Being the UK, all traffic is now prohibited from Old Wyche but a few years ago the Light Car Section of the VSCC got permission to use it for a demonstration (or as Fred Dybnah would have said 'a demonsteration')  run by cyclecars and three wheeler Morgans (assisted by the Morgan Factory in Malvern).  I was one of the marshals at the top of the hill, equipped with a long length of rope to put across the back of any cars that failed to climb the hill, all very 1920's.   It was a red hot day and the pub at the top of the hill, where it joins the main road at an impossibly steep gradient, was crowded with well lubricated spectators.   A young policeman had been sent  to oversee the junction.
What he didn't realise was that some of the 3-wheeler Morgans were racing machines which are very highly geared.  They could only get up the very steep gradient by approaching it at high speed.   A magical afternoon that will long remain in my memory.   The marginally legal motor events are generally the best!
Yep. 4 speed crash. 5.25 rear end. To be fair that's probably the furthest the car has gone in 1st gear since I got it. It goes up most hills in top or 3rd, but sometimes if there's a steep hairpin I have to go for 2nd. I think it probably would have done this in 2nd had it not been for the narrowness of the road and the 90° turns with walls on both sides. I remember doing the climb up mont ventoux several years ago. We were two up and going well out of Bedoin until a hairpin caught me out and I was stuck in 2nd all the way from there up to the chalet reynard. That was a long slog.
(04-08-2020, 04:04 PM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: In terms of steepness, I think the top of Old Wyche in Malvern might rival it, but that is only a short stretch of road in comparison.   Being the UK, all traffic is now prohibited from Old Wyche but a few years ago the Light Car Section of the VSCC got permission to use it for a demonstration (or as Fred Dybnah would have said 'a demonsteration')  run by cyclecars and three wheeler Morgans (assisted by the Morgan Factory in Malvern).  I was one of the marshals at the top of the hill, equipped with a long length of rope to put across the back of any cars that failed to climb the hill, all very 1920's.   It was a red hot day and the pub at the top of the hill, where it joins the main road at an impossibly steep gradient, was crowded with well lubricated spectators.   A young policeman had been sent  to oversee the junction.
What he didn't realise was that some of the 3-wheeler Morgans were racing machines which are very highly geared.  They could only get up the very steep gradient by approaching it at high speed.   A magical afternoon that will long remain in my memory.   The marginally legal motor events are generally the best!

A photo showing Malcolm and his fellow marshals at the top of the hill with their rope remains for posterity on the front cover of the 2000 edition of the VSCC's 'List of Members And Their Cars'. I'll scan it later and add it here. 

Steve
Good God, was it more than 20 years ago? 
According to Google, Old Wyche Road has a gradient of 17% but that must be an average figure.   At the top where it joins the main road by the Wyche Inn I think it must be about 1 in 2, whatever that is as a percentage (30%?).