The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Depending on the type of flasher unit, a condenser or condensers connected across the contacts can help reduce the electrical "noise" that the Seven's system is famous for.

That is where I keep my spare condensed.

I  wouldn't mix incandescent and LED's in the same circuit.
On the RP, there are 6v incandescent bulbs in the indicators but a 6v LED for the warning lamp. It works fine. However, this is using a mechanical flasher relay which has a separate internal switch, and external terminal for the warning lamp and therefore its own circuit.

Beware of the flasher units selling on t'internet for motorcycles, which incorporate a buzzer. They claim to work on 6 or 12 volts, but they don't. Ask me how I know...
Decided to take big 7 out to Loch Lomond. First outing since lock down. Great to be back out in 1 of the sevens.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I took the Pytchley special out for another test run today, having set the brakes up yesterday.    As soon as I left my drive the heavens opened but i persevered.   No rainwater leaks and the Lucas electrical wiper motor worked, albeit slowly.  I seem to recall that these get faster once they have been going for a while?
Only problem is the handbrake catching on the front U/J of the Hardy Spicer propshaft.   I had a similar problem on the RL saloon.   I can't remember whether I loosened the rear engine mounts and pushed the engine over to the N/S a bit or whether I took a spacer out of the handbrake ratchet to move it over to the right a bit.
1/8" thick washer under the rear engine mounts is the first and easiest thing to try. That fixed it on the Ulster. The Trials Chummy needed a reduced spacer to the ratchet but that was a long time ago as you'll recall.

Steve
Thanks for that, Steve, I'll give it a go.
Notwithstanding the running problems I'm having with the Ruby I headed out to the Moray countryside last night with my 15 year old daughter and found a suitable piece of private tarmac where she had a driving lesson. Within an hour she was changing up through the gears to third, then double de-clutching down into second.

She seems to have some mechanical empathy and wanted to get gear changes smooth rather than just being content to make it go. Steering in reverse doesn't come naturally apparently!

Peter.
(02-08-2020, 05:24 PM)Peter Naulls Wrote: ... Steering in reverse doesn't come naturally apparently!

Peter.

Does she ride a bicycle? Remind her how easy it is to run over your own foot when trying to manoeuvre a bicycle in reverse  Big Grin
I read all of the posts on this forum about how to fix a grungy fuel tank on my Opal. I went the route of using the POR product. It even fixed a few pin holes I discovered. I refitted the squeaky clean fuel tank on Saturday and after a bit of effort Dopey started right up. OMG what a difference!  Now all of a sudden I have too much power, the clutch can’t keep up!  Well you know what I mean...for an Austin 7 it seems pretty darn good. Now on to that wiring...
This forum is awesome btw...I look on here then I call my Dad, between the two I’ve been able to manage so far!

Charlie, 
This is Chris Law...quite a blast from the past seeing your name pop up on here. Nice to see another familiar name. Glad to see your out and about in your big 7. Take care.
We are enjoying slightly cooler weather today before another heatwave at the weekend, so I thought I'd give the RP an airing. I drove a short distance to Alès, our nearest large town to see if I could find the Chemin de Saint-Julien, which is allegedly the steepest road in France and 5th steepest in the world. It took me a while to find it because it is actually a very narrow road on the hillside near the "Hermitage" chapel and viewpoint. Fortunately I found the top of the road and was able to go down it first to see what it was like. Whilst it is passable by vehicles, it is an "only just" for a modern and certainly large vehicles would not be able to negotiate the two very sharp bends without having to do a shuffle. Needless to say the dimension of an Austin Seven don't cause such problems. Once I had reached the bottom, I turned the car round and set off back up. The narrowness of the road and the tightness of the hairpins demanded 1st gear, but apart from that the car romped up to the top without any bother. I was rather impressed with the way the car performed. I took a video on my phone which I have posted on "whatsapp"

This is the car at the top of the climb, which is actually down on the left hand side of the photo