The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Mike, 
     the road Rekkers spotted in the distance is not Flash or Long Hill, but in fact the road leading to Errwood and Fernilee reservoirs.
Are you sure, Robert? Surely we are looking approx south-east, and those trees are the ones around the entrance to the White Hall Outdoor Centre, about half-way up Long Hill.

.jpg   long hill.JPG (Size: 218.08 KB / Downloads: 368)
Loving Dave “hands on hips” walking the route ahead.

Well that was a fun distraction for a Sunday evening.  Mission accomplished - I took my daughter for a ride along the old Roman Road up to Buxton.  The road seems to have deeper ruts now than the pictures from previous adventurers, no doubt from 4x4s which have a wider track than the Austin, so I found it easiest to stay out of the ruts.  It was reasonably dry throughout so progress was fairly simple, in fact I really enjoyed it so I'll seek out more similar routes.

For those that know the area and are trying to get their bearings, the second photo is taken pointing North about the point of the 4th green spot along on Mike's map.
Quite sure Mike, 
On your Ordnance Survey map we started at the unmade road with the green dots on it. Starting at the end with 428 beside it, then travelling in a North Westerly direction rejoining the road at Rake End. This is the old Goyt Lane.
OK Robert, I thought we were facing the other way! But if the car is facing north, then the access road to the Errwood and Fernilee Reservoirs (marked as Goyt's Lane on the OS map) is behind the camera; either way, the road in the distance is surely the A5004 Long Hill road? It's many years since I last drove that route, perhaps I've lost my marbles as well as my compass  Tongue
Anyway, at least we've got another Austineer venturing down unmade roads!
If you like these photos here's one taking the road across Ilkley moor from Keighley to Ilkley to the start of one of Malcolm Parker's runs.     
Well Dave, it's been a while but at least I know now where tha's been since I last saw thee, sans headwear I presume.
I have to confess that I have never driven over the road on your photo, Dave, which I believe is called Keighley Gates.   I am always wary of having unmade roads on my runs as it might upset some folks and it causes a headache with getting an MSA permit.   Nowadays anything with an internal combustion engine is persona non gratis on unmade roads.  It is okay for mountain bikes and horses to churn them up.
One year I introduced some 'optional sections' on the Coast to Coast Run and these were well received.   The unmade White Horse Bank at Kilburn near Thirsk was one such section.   When we were trying to organise a VSCC Yorkshire Trial  a few years ago Steve brought his trials Chummy up to Thirsk and we found a road up to the Observatory at Oldstead that made the White Horse White look like a motorway.  A rock step about 18" high finally stopped us!
Both CN and NAS are facing north Mike with NAS between the fourth and fifth green dots counting from the south, with the trees being those at 306.