The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Photographic compression of relative distance I think you could call it, David. Just been to check, just in case, but all is well. There's at least 2" of clearance so no worries. Seen here from a different angle (must get some waxoyl on that mounting):

The exhaust probably isn't the original, but it's at least 35 years old, and it's the RP one.  Alignment looks correct even though it passes under the tank. The later Ruby exhaust passes through a hole in the rear chassis member whilst the RP one fastens underneath (see silencer fixing on Ruairidh's special set-up). That may be why there are some differences.

I might invest in a side exit arrangement if the day ever arrives when I have to replace the system.
The LWB exhaust systems available today are a half way house between Ruby and Box systems and nothing like RN, unfortunately.

My favourite silencer is the, now hard to come by, grey Reliant straight through type. It produces lovely burbles through the valleys and gorges of southern France.
Me wantee!

Must be something to do with not having a roof on the Cabby, Ruairidh because I've never heard (or noticed) the exhaust note on the Saloon. Perhaps it's because it's drowned out by all the other mechanical noise... or I'm a bit Mutt & Jeff.

Just one question. What does it sound like when you're NOT in a valley or a gorge in southern France?
A quieter lovely.
Rekkers. Thank you for your reassurance. I would hate you to disappear in a sheet of blue flame!
Ruairidh’s set up is far too racy for me!

I’ve made up a steel rear bracket to take the currently available Ruby style exhaust up and over the rear axle and alongside the fuel tank on the box, no rattles and a lovely sound...

Had to move the Ruby out of the garage today.
To allow access for cavity wall filling.
Started up after 3 goes (It has stood for a month)
But making a horrible intermittent noise a was really worried!!
Anyway I drove it outside and then found out what the noise was.
Anybody like to have a guess at the cause.
The clue is I just be fitting the front bodywork including the radiator cowl.
Just for a it of fun I will reveal the cause tomorrow 
Regards
            Tim
Hello Ivor,

Looking at the alignment of your new exhaust on the box, I'm concerned that it will be very close to the nearside wing once you've fitted it. Before you do anything else I would offer up the rear wing and make sure... better now than later on!

Below is a pic of mine from above, which as you know passes under the tank:

Thanks Bruce, well spotted, I think you may be right, I’ll check that out today!
I let an American visitor to work have a little drive in the Type 65 round the work carpark.
He had a huge grin on his face.
He did not stall or kangaroo it either.
He is a small American so a perfect fit in the car. Needless to say he wanted to buy it.
( Yes he has been Tested negative for the Virus )