The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Hi David

You should have called in for coffee (is that allowed under lockdown).  I live less than 1/2 mile from Pritchard’s garage in Llandod. 

What do you think of the splendid restoration Tony Price Builders have done to the garage?  All it needs now is some enterprising vintage car dealer to take on the lease!

Cheers

Howard
After a small contribution to Welsh Seven life reports I was distracted on my keyboard and discovered that the tandem bodied special, much commented here on but on a thread I cannot find, is now being offered at auction without reserve, in Kings Lynn.
Nice one David. Now do the same for another seven days on the trot and you'll get an idea of how knackered I was last year after my trip to Santiago and back! ?
Howard,
I did think of you as I trundled through Llandod and, to be frank, a cup of tea on the way back would have been a lovely idea. Alas, I had no way of contacting you! We should exchange details as, apart from Barry Townsend in Rhyl, you are my nearest forum user! And, yes, the Auto Palace looks externally much as I remembered it from the 60's.A pity it was full of tyres on the one side and bric-a-brac on the other, instead Minxes and Supersnipes.

And yes Bruce, I thought of your epic 2K mile journey to Santiago as I trundled up the hills in third gear. I wouldn't have had your stamina! As it is, rather than sorting out the Polo, after going over to see to the horses (in the Seven), I elected to have a bit of a lazy day catching up with some paperwork and generally doing as little as possible.

Steve, I think I was at one point within 15 miles of you?
Hi Again David

The garage in your picture is Pritchard’s garage, the Automobile Palace is a few hundred yards further on towards Builth.

Tom Norton set up the Palace at the turn of last century. It is an innovative building, the first steel framed building in Wales.  He also had airplanes and a small airport, sadly long gone.  At one time, I believe he held the sole franchise for Austin cars in Wales, so many many Sevens must have past through Llandod! It is now home to the a National cycle museum (and the local employment exchange but let’s not highlight that!)

Cheers

Howard
This is the Tom Norton Automobile Palace; the original building dates from 1911, and the enlarged showrooms from 1919:

The 1911 'Number 2 Garage':

and the 1919 extension:

Thank you Mike. Howard has already pointed out my error in mistaking Prichards Garage. In my (weak) defence, I should say it is years since I was at Llandrindod Wells.
Hi Mike

Thanks for posting the Automobile Palace photos. On the extension you can just about make out “Aircraft” on the middle band.

Cheers

Howard
[center]     [/center]

Essential shopping, officer, just a slight diversion and nowhere near England.
Steve.
Although I am not a fan of Rubies, even though I am perfectly aware that they are very civilised little cars (its the Dick Butzi styling that puts me off) I have always thought your car is a very pretty example.