The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Thank you for the comments and tips, at the moment I don't have my top radiator hose mounted.
And I'm planning to take it apart a few times, so I will leave the fettling for another time.

Where the lower flitch panels attached to the foot wells of the body is difficult to hold the bolt and nut to tighten it.
(15-05-2020, 10:45 AM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: Even people who have built many Austin 7's over the years have fun and games fitting the radiator cowl, sometimes you have to resort to making new flitch plates. 

And who might you be referring to there ? Blush Blush Blush 

Signed: Embarrassed of Whitley
Re Welsh passes, Bert Hadley wrote in the A7CA magazine about road testing 7s through there, with Charles Goodacre.  A gruelling schedule I would think.
First run out since the lockdown ended. Did about 25 miles in preparation for a bigger run next week. All OK but I noticed a lot of tyre noise from the Longstones. I had dropped the pressures to 25psi following comments on the forum, but on getting home I have pumped them them back to 30psi as recommended. Steering was a bit heavy and the rears were quite warm.
(15-05-2020, 06:51 PM)Robin Boyce Wrote: Re Welsh passes, Bert Hadley wrote in the A7CA magazine about road testing 7s through there, with Charles Goodacre.  A gruelling schedule I would think.

Does anyone know the route that the works test drivers took to take them over Bwlch-y-Groes? Incidentally, at one time, it was known in English as 'Hellfire Pass'! I can't think why.
(15-05-2020, 10:41 AM)David Stepney Wrote:
(15-05-2020, 10:32 AM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: I think the period shot of a Chummy in Wales is on Bwlch-y-Groes, a well known test hill that featured in many pre-war reliability trials.    Sad to relate it is a road I have never driven over but one that is on my bucket list.

Its the drop into the Dyfi Valley that's the real killer Once you are over the top and past the turning for LLyn Efyrnwy, the road descends sharply (the sign says 17 1/2% but I am sure it is steeper than that!) for about a mile and a half. Even in a modern car, you can end up with no brakes at the bottom. I haven't had the courage to descend it in the Seven, but I have climbed it from the LLan Mawddwy direction and it was bottom gear all the way up! It was at night and at first I thought it was a bit foggy at the top until I realised that the 'fog' was coming from the radiator cap!

I had to get the then girlfriend to get out on the ascent. And walk up. She is now the wife
(15-05-2020, 08:07 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote:
(15-05-2020, 10:41 AM)David Stepney Wrote:
(15-05-2020, 10:32 AM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: I think the period shot of a Chummy in Wales is on Bwlch-y-Groes, a well known test hill that featured in many pre-war reliability trials.    Sad to relate it is a road I have never driven over but one that is on my bucket list.

Its the drop into the Dyfi Valley that's the real killer Once you are over the top and past the turning for LLyn Efyrnwy, the road descends sharply (the sign says 17 1/2% but I am sure it is steeper than that!) for about a mile and a half. Even in a modern car, you can end up with no brakes at the bottom. I haven't had the courage to descend it in the Seven, but I have climbed it from the LLan Mawddwy direction and it was bottom gear all the way up! It was at night and at first I thought it was a bit foggy at the top until I realised that the 'fog' was coming from the radiator cap!

I had to get the then girlfriend to get out on the ascent. And walk up. She is now the wife

That's what I would call True Love! I trust your lady wife has not found it all uphill since.
After a lull of 20 odd years, two house moves, including one to and from the Isle of Wight, the old Box saloon rattled into life once more...I was hoping to have the starter motor going properly but for the lack of a bronze bush I used the handle!

and here's the proof, the bang at the end is the garage door slamming shut!

https://youtu.be/96zTD7XqiDE
Excellent Ivor. The engine sounds well.
46 years ago, give or take a few weeks, a gang of erstwhile austineers gathered at the summit of Mont Aigoual in southern France. For a number of years I have promised Ian Dunford  that I would take the RP up there and photograph it in the same spot. I shall be setting off after breakfast (french time) tomorrow and if any of you want to follow my progress in real time Ruairidh has created a Whatsapp group for the run.

It's not a very long run as I'm restricted to 100km radius from home, but it's about 200km there and back on some of the most scenic roads in the Cevennes national park. One of the roads to the summit is marked " difficult and dangerous" which sounds just up my street - like the roads in the coast to coast " not suitable for motor vehicles (except austin sevens).

Contact the bearded wizard for a link.

The Reckless One.