The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Steve kay said:
Thursday 9th April, is the centenary of Sir Alec Moulton's birth.

So I got my Mk2 Stowaway out of the rafters of the shed in preparation for the great man's birthday.

I worry about being an anorak. I just can't help noticing the handlebars of an original Bickerton in the trailer. We could have a debate as to whether the torsion rigidity or lack thereof was closer to jelly on a Bickerton or an Airframe, or would could just go and lie down in a darkened room.
Must need lots of peddle power to pull the trailer. Big Grin
(07-04-2020, 09:34 AM)Steve kay Wrote: I worry about being an anorak. I just can't help noticing the handlebars of an original Bickerton in the trailer. We could have a debate as to whether the torsion rigidity or lack thereof was closer to jelly on a Bickerton or an Airframe, or would could just go and lie down in a darkened room.

The Bickerton is a memorable ride, no question. 
On the other hand I bought it online and it was posted from the North Island in a quite small box. How many bikes would you be able to do that with?

The garden cart was added to deflect possible non-Austin-Seven-content criticism.
SAAFFA Birdman of Bognor 1989 and the winning entrant, Chris Lettington is assembling his Heath Robinson flying machine, based on a Moulton Mini childs bicycle (was my sister's, then handed down via Chris to me)... we seem to have a lot in common 

.jpg   20200407_150355.jpg (Size: 312.54 KB / Downloads: 650)

.jpg   20200407_150328.jpg (Size: 355.96 KB / Downloads: 652)
I hvae been home educating young Leon again today. After his first welding lesson, we went down the track in the Seven for the prime purpose of teaching him how to double declutch, with fairly mixed results, but I am sure it will come!

.jpg   S033I001.JPG (Size: 140.21 KB / Downloads: 619)

Getting it out of the garage

.jpg   S033I002.JPG (Size: 157.6 KB / Downloads: 619)

Setting off down the track

.jpg   S033I003.JPG (Size: 124.8 KB / Downloads: 618)

Lesson underway
Bill Sheehan kindly gave me an oil button bezel that had been made donkey years ago by Bob Booth so I could fill the hole in my dash with something that looked like an oil button.  I have an oil pressure gauge so don't need a button but would like a lamp for the indicators, so have machined a plumbing fitting into a lampholder that the bezel screws onto.  Will probably dye the lens a bit darker to make the subterfuge complete.  I have ordered a nickel anode so electroplating  in a week or two.  This self isolating has some benefits.

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG_20200408_152019 Resized.jpg (Size: 127.26 KB / Downloads: 471)
Cheers

Mark
Today had a few hours of cleaning up parts, getting ready for some new bits to arrive.
Wire wheeled the front hubs that Dad took apart 45 years ago, dressed off the gasket faces where someone had been a bit enthusiastic with a cold chisel trying to get them apart. Removed the old bearings and made ready to fit new.
Also gave the drums a clean up, wire wheeled the outside and primed. I'll skim the friction surfaces on the lathe next, if I can find the 4th of the cast iron drums!

To mark Sir Alec's centenary, extracted the Moultons from hibernation, and recorded them being out in the sun. Couldn't quite get them to sing Happy Birthday.
Lovely machines!