The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
My first car in the 60's was a '37 Ruby. I did several trips loaded with 3 and a half Granite kerbstones (That was about the limit otherwise the bonnet was too high to see over) in the car, uplifted from the streets of London following road improvements. I couldn't lift one on my own when I was 18 yrs old, so I guess they were quite heavy !!
I brought the Type 65 out of hibernation,
The first sunny day for ages just took it out for a quick shakedown to blow the cobwebs away.
I feel a lot better for it !!!!
Overheard at signing on;
Scrute "What on earth is that, looks very much like illegal ballast to me."
Austin Seven driver " Oh, that's not ballast. My Uncle Cyril asked me to drop some re-claimed granite off for his garden on the way Home."
On Saturday I repeated my run out in the Ulster, cold and very windy.   I don't think I have ever seen more people out and about, all the car parks at Sutton Bank and White Horse Bank were packed and cars were parked on the roadside.  An ice-cream van parked at White Horse Bank was doing a roaring trade!
The Austins are now garaged until further notice.  The Highways Department have dumped a healthy layer of salt on the roads today which would put me off using them anyway.    Perhaps the gritters would be better employed spreading lime or iodine crystals?
I didn't know that Austin 7s were exempt from spreading the virus. Who is going to come to your rescue if you break down ? Of course we all wear disposable gloves when we buy fuel and then double bag them when we take them off. The government are advising us not to make unnecessary trips away from the house - Which bit of the advice don't we understand ?
Rant by Over 70's in lockdown.
Hi Bob

I agree with you. Not ranting but very locked down in this glorious weather! A sacrifice I’m prepared to do not just for me but for others too.

Cheers

Howard
Coronavirus aside, I invite members to stop for an instant and consider that in the event of any wee DIY mishaps you are going to struggle to get seen by a doctor (or indeed dentist) at present. And sitting for 4 hours in A&E - if they'll let you in - is the last place you'd want to be. Take care out there!
We decided that as every forthcoming evening was going to be at home, we'd go mad and keep the fire going even after the Spring equinox. The coal man's delivery driver left last Friday as he was worried about the health implications of doing deliveries. After the above comments on the carrying ablity of the Seven I did wonder about using the Ruby for coal collection, but decided that a single run with 4cwt in the 2CV was more socially acceptable than a number of Seven trips with a loaded luggage rack.   I did for a moment wonder about extracting the Ruby from the workshop and posing with a slight load of coal, but decided that the Chinese government  satelite would spot me at it, and report the forged photo to the forum honesty monitor.
Finished adapting a scissor lift I bought at the pub earlier in the month from Tim "Repair Shop" Gunn.
Lowered it a bit to ensure that it was "drive on" by cutting and rewelding the arms holding the channel section to have a "dog leg" and some other lowering. I now have the characteristic sunburnt triangle from the gap between my overalls and welding helmet. Doh!

As bought

.jpg   FB_IMG_1583081115982.jpg (Size: 105.7 KB / Downloads: 384)

And now
It's only a foot off the ground because, as you can see, I haven't added any chocks to stop the car rolling forward. After the chocks I'll make a beam so that I can lift the wheels off for hub and brake work

Charles
My grandson Leon arrived yesterday, originally for a week or so, but it now looks as if he is going to be with me for the spring and summer, following Boris's announcement yesterday evening. This was followed by a phone call from work saying there is no point coming in for the next three weeks.

So, this morning, being bright and sunny, I took Leon down to Bala to get some essential supplies in the Seven and to rearrange the finances, just in case. Called at the local garage to pick up fuel.

.jpg   S032I001.JPG (Size: 125.07 KB / Downloads: 240)

We then went for a little trundle round the lanes to get the engine warm. After all, we are allowed out to take exercise!

.jpg   S032I003.JPG (Size: 105.26 KB / Downloads: 240)

.jpg   S032I004.JPG (Size: 91.21 KB / Downloads: 240)