The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Hi. I’m new to the forum. Am looking after my dads ruby as he isn’t able to drive her anymore and he has more interest in his 10 and consul classic. Yesterday I replaced a core plug and started her up for the 1st time in ... 4 years (i think). The carb jets were booked but she did run quite well. I have just been lubricating her (started) found the read axle was dry. Funny. I recall filling that up in 2003! Gearbox oil looked ok and engine has a fresh ish fill. Getting ep 140 was a pain. Had to go online! I’m in the process of removing the trailer lights dad fitted in favour of a set of led 6v lights on the rear... look light a fair amount or rewording needs to be done! Tomorrow I will attack with the grease gun.
You don’t want EP oil you want Straight Oil for the rear axle.
EP has additives that will attack the brass parts in the axle, Sorry, you’ve got the wrong stuff.
Oh. So what do you recommend?
you want D140.

But Zeto, didnt someone say that GL4 was OK to use, just not GL5? I notice some EP140 is the former... and have wanted to ask about this anyway...
I use D140, readily available from that well known auction site.
D140 is the right stuff, though many have used EP and not suffered noticeable harm.
Fair enough. Ordered the d140. Will cancel the other. Smile

While we are at it. What are people using in the engine and gear box these days?

Thanks
Needless to say you'll get a range of opinions....
I use 20W50 in the engine and a straight 30 grade in the gearbox. 
Some people favour straight 30 or 40 grades for the engine (30 for touring engines, 40 for sports) as originally specified - though if you go down this path I'd recommend careful warm-up as these oils flow less well at cold start, which is where all the wear happens.
Don't use heavy gear oils in the gearbox, the box was not designed for them and it won't penetrate where it is needed.
You don't need anything fancy!
The two types of EP are often confused.

EP140 Hipress is absolutely fine to use.

EP140 Hypoid will eventually (over a long period) eat bushes etc.

D140 is absolutely fine to use.
ok, so worth noting that the GL4/5 thing is absolutely WRONG as both Hipress and Hypoid are GL4....!