The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
I first came across Mow Cop in Flanders&Swann's " The Slow Train"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U6OHD2uCpfU

When I met the girl from Stoke on Trent who was to become my wife she mentioned Mow Cop and I was amazed that the place existed! 48 years later, despite passing the lane end on innumerable occasions I made my first visit this year. What a view!
One of the happiest times of my life was travelling on the Macclesfield canal one Easter and getting snowed in. I was moored at the time at 'The Bird in Hand' (pronounced Bird in'tHand') at Mow Cop (Scholar Green) and spent the evening with the landlady and the chap that lived in the cottage next door. A proper 'ale house' with a roaring fire and the landlady lifting a trap door to descend to the cellar every now and then to return with a large enamel jug full of foaming beer straight from the barrel.

Happy days...
Goostrey is where my Austin Sevening really started.

Attended our local fete yesterday with both cars.

Very blowy, the occasional shower not worth putting the covers on for.

Was a parking attendant for a couple of hours, bringing it home to me how many odd people there are.

Seveners don't count as odd, do they?
"Seveners don't count as odd, do they?"

Absolutely! All of us mad as a box of frog-eyed sprites!
(05-08-2019, 02:01 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: Wilst talking to someone I had never met before about AJS motorcycles, I noticed the track had gone quiet early. And wilst sitting there they retreived the car that had just crashed towards the top of the hill.
I do hope the driver is ok, I understand he was rushed of the hospital.

Yes Tony, he was released from Hospital that same evening.

Steve
(11-08-2019, 09:30 AM)Hugh Barnes Wrote: One of the happiest times of my life was travelling on the Macclesfield canal one Easter and getting snowed in. I was moored at the time at 'The Bird in Hand' (pronounced Bird in'tHand') at Mow Cop (Scholar Green) and spent the evening with the landlady and the chap that lived in the cottage next door. A proper 'ale house'  with a roaring fire and the landlady lifting a trap door to descend to the cellar every now and then to return with a large enamel jug full of foaming beer straight from the barrel.

Happy days...

Remember the Bird in Hand well and moored there many times, a great favourite of ours. I seem to remember it as Kent Green though, but undoubtedly the same place. I am led to believe it became derelict though.
Kent Green, yes you are quite right, I stand corrected... It would come as no surprise to me that it fell into disuse. I recall that there were just a handful of houses around it and it would have been serving very few people, even when I visited back in the 70s. We had tramped across the fields to visit Little Moreton Hall, got soaked and the landlady offered to dry our clothes for us by the fire..
we did pop into Little Moreton Hall too, mainly to use the facilities. Then we went up to the Cloud
[attachment=7508][attachment=7509]Took our car to the local show. Had 20 kids sit in it for their pictures taking, also a man from Greece and a man about 50 with his mum. She likened it to being in Downton Abbey. Got a few disapproving looks from the spit & polish brigade but our cars are to use and enjoy. Also got asked “where have you put the trailer- have you really driven it here?”

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Meanwhile, looking down onto Hay on Wye, the weather forecast for the Three Cocks Show turned put to be wholly inaccurate, fortunately by being dry all day rather than the more traditional soaked to the skin routine. The Hereford Austin 7 Club turned up en masse. A certain senior member with a Mk 2 Ruby, not pictured, had suffered a centre bearing failure, which in a particularly jovial manner he would occasionally fire up the engine to demonstrate, and most alarming it sounded. There were numerous suggestions that the preferred response would be to drop the sump, and take out the remains of centre bearing, sparing the crankshaft the unhappy relationship with what was no longer supporting it. However he decided to drive back to Hereford and in due course we will find out how long the crankshaft lasted.