The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Got one of those on the back!

No it's an info sheet for members of the silly question squad:
Austin Seven (7)
Je suis née en 1933
Je ne peux pas rouler très vite mais je fais de mon mieux. Soyez patient svp!

Moteur 4 cylindres, soupapes latérales. Cylindrée 747cm3. Puissance 13ch à 2800tr/min.
Vilebrequin 2 paliers avec roulements à billes. Lubrification par pompe à huile et gicleurs.
Caisse en alliage, bloc et culasse en fonte. Carburateur SU desservi par pompe. Réservoir à l’arrière 25L.
Refroidissement par système thermosiphon. Ventilateur 4 paliers (version export)
Boîte à 4 rapports non synchronisée. Freinage à câbles sur les 4 roues.
Allumage par dynamo, bobine et delco. Démarrage par manivelle et/ou démarreur. Batterie 6v 80Ah
Roues en rayons de 19 pouces - pneus 19 x 3.50 par « Longstones ». Amortisseurs par frottement.
Ressort transversal à l’avant. 2 ressorts ¼ elliptiques à l’arrière. Direction par boîte.
Longueur 3m23, Largeur 1m58. Poids à vide 428kg. Empattement 2m15. Carrosserie en tôle d’acier - 4 places.
Vitesse max : 78kph. Consommation 7litres/100km en moyenne. Essence sans plomb 95 sans additif.
Restaurée par le propriétaire en 1982
I think you missed the bit about the grease nipples Bruce
Caution : Elderly driver ? :-)

Bill G

( takes one to know one)
Based near the Scottish Border,
When you put it that way Bill, you are probably right although even though I shall be 70 this year I don't feel "elderly". Far from it, thank goodness. I keep telling myself "It's just a number" I am thankful for every day that passes as there are some less fortunate than ourselves that never got this far down life's rocky road.

Carpe diem.
You echo my thoughts entirely! Mobility is the key... especially
Being able just to get in and out of an Austin Seven .... let alone get under one.

I can beat you by two years and will be going under the Cup tomorrow to remove the engine
though I will have Ruairidh to help!

More anon.

Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
Bruce and Bill. Isn't seventy the new forty? (Oh, I wish , I wish)

By the way, thank you Bruce for the French lesson. I always wondered what a crankshaft was in French.

I thought I might stop here this afternoon to see if they had French, or Welsh, crankshafts, but trade does not seem to be going very well.
Being about the same age as Bruce and a little younger than Bill, I tend to use the Seven a bit like an invalid carriage (although I haven't yet tried driving it around the Co-op!)

Anyway, given that the town is only a mile and a half from me, it seems silly just to take the little car just the three miles there and back, so the Motoring Dog and I came home via Llyn Celyn. (Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)
It also gives the Motoring Dog the opportunity for a sniff and a run across the dam.

Whilst there, i noticed that our local signwriters have been at it again!

Photos:- (I haven't yet found a way of putting the captions underneath the photos. Perhaps someone could advise.)

1. FG in the car park. Well this is an Austin Seven forum after all.
2. A view across the lake. It has been grey and overcast all day. What happened to the sunny weather we were promised?
3. Llewellyn, the Motoring Dog. Since he has only appeared as a vaguely discernible pair of ears in previous posts, i thought I would give him his fifteen minutes of fame!
4, 5 and 6. The art of the signwriter. They read (in order): " Ni ildiwn fyth" ("we shall never surrender"), "Cofiwch Dryweryn" ("Remember Tryweryn") and "Fe godwn ni rhyddid i Gymry eto" (" We shall rise to free Wales again")

Given that it is sixty years since the dam was built, it appears that old wounds don't heal easily!

Attached Files
.jpg   S018I004.JPG (Size: 113.26 KB / Downloads: 183)
.jpg   S018I003.JPG (Size: 90.1 KB / Downloads: 180)
.jpg   S018I005.JPG (Size: 132.7 KB / Downloads: 182)
.jpg   S018I006.JPG (Size: 155.71 KB / Downloads: 181)
.jpg   S018I007.JPG (Size: 141.64 KB / Downloads: 182)
.jpg   S018I008.JPG (Size: 122.83 KB / Downloads: 183)
A destruction of a "Cofiwch Drywern" sign back in the spring this year seems to have sparked off a significant support and painting of numbers of similar signs. Coming from Portmadoc down to Abergavenny last wek, sadly in an elderly Trollhatten machine and not an ancient Longbrige product, we saw many more than previously. Getting further South, they have been joined by recent "Cofiwch Epynt" signs.
At seconday school the headmaster conned me into taking French (supposedly in my interests but actually to balance classes). I would have forgiven the bastard if he had told me it would assist the reading of Austin Seven specs. About all I remember is the  impressively long  "le levieur pour changemente de vitesse" or somesuch