The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Took the RP out for its first few miles after the broken blockl stud incident. Rebore, pistons, cam followers, tappets valves and springs and a general all over tidy up. Runs nice and smooth with no apparent leaks, coolant or oil. Early days yet but very happy with it. What is the sort of distance I should look at for a decent running in?
I would say 500 miles. That's what the factory used to recommend.
1000 for me
It will take between 2000 and 3000 miles before the rings are bed in properly.

Change oil very frequently initially (50 then 100, then 300 miles) - you may be quite surprised at what comes out.
??? thanks everyone. Half ahead forward Number One. Steady as she goes.
+1 for what Ruairidh says. And don't leave it ticking over thinking how clever you are. Drive it increasing the engine load progressively.

Steve
Whilst working on Chris' car we were joined by a friendly corvid.

Couldn't decide whether it was an escaped tame one, a lost and dim youngster, or an old one that had had a blow on the head - anyway, it was very tame.

Not much help with the Austin, though.   Extra valeting will be required!

Attached Files
.htm   Crow on BBM.htm (Size: 559.79 KB / Downloads: 4)
Don't nurse it too much unless you want glazed bores, just drive normally, unless of course your normal is thrash the living daylights out of the poor wee beast. I also advocate VERY regularl oil changes as R suggested earlier.
Black Art Enthusiast

Being on duty as the Sweeper Up for the Madley Miglia I took the 2CV. The changes of car running at back of  the field meant following various machines, but the most elegant, demonstrating the finest ride and most direct steering was of course a Seven. Unfortunately, Dave Price's 1932 RN also needed most attention, ending up with me taking Dave back to the start to collect his modern. The problem seems to have been a sheared half shaft key, allowing a degree of grip on the flat, but spinning and getting smelly on steep bits.  Price pere et fils are fearless Gordon England mounted trialists and no doubt mere saloon mending is but the work of minutes.
Today was the first dry day for a wile ive had time to take the car out.

So I thought fear enough lets go get a hair cut and take the supersports for a drive.

Wilst out I filled up at the shell station, there are other suppliers. But I find the car runs fine on it.

Checked the tyre pressures wilst there, a local I know turns up with a convertible scimitar. A rear car, they made less than 400. And let's face it, even the fibreglass rotted on them. So not many left.

We had a chat, and as I pulled out of the petrol station. There was a Pontiac firebird with a modern as a support car with a set of jump leads.

SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT AN AUSTIN. the dependable car.

Not a bad 5 mins in the gas station though Smile

Tony.