The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "fragment" - Line: 1494 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 1494 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 1640 postParser->mycode_parse_video
[PHP] postParser->mycode_parse_video_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 513 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 228 postParser->parse_mycode
/inc/functions_post.php 827 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "query" - Line: 1505 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1505 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 1510 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1510 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1587 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1587 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key "v" - Line: 1591 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1591 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven

I took Vera to West Firle for a meeting of The Old Farts Club, or half a dozen of my old mates. 1 pint of Harveys best and home only 9 miles each way.
Spent a happy hour tracking down all the remaining needed new
Studs, nuts, washers and set screws and bolts that are part of the
Externals of the crank case. A few studs needed more thread cut
and others needed cut to size.

Very satisfying to see them all screwed in and ready for final fitting
before the engine and gearbox finally return to the chassis.

Regards

Bill G
Aka AllAlloyCup
Based near the Scottish Border,
Went for a 30 mile run in the Chummy. First time out since the engine was in bits. Cold but fun.
Alan Fairless
Having been disheartened by fuel consumption figures of between 40mpg (Reckless rat) and 50 mpg (Mike Costigan) I felt that my 33 to 36 mpg was a bit low, so I spent the afternoon playing with the carburettor and my 'Colourtune'. Still can't get a nice blue combustion flame, but at least it's not such a vivid orange. Lowered the float level by fitting the thickest needle valve washer I had.
Difficult to say whether the car is going better or not, but it is still capable of something over fifty flat out and climbs up the Berwyns using a mixture of third and top.
It was a lovely afternoon, with superb views from the top of the pass, but, alas I forgot my camera. Managed to leave it on the bench in the garage! Ah well, at least the intention was there.
Our son, Joe and and I took the Cheapskate Special to be Mot’d. It passed! 65 mile round trip but gave it a good run in the freezing cold morning air through Chatsworth Park and over Beeley Moor. Joe had a short drive and was a little traumatised by the experience. One or two teething problems to be ironed out now. (On the car that is).
Seven years ago today I was waking up to this in Buxton:

And some 300 miles north today, the view was somewhat different:

(10-04-2019, 07:12 PM)David Stepney Wrote: Having been disheartened by fuel consumption figures of between 40mpg (Reckless rat) and 50 mpg (Mike Costigan) I felt that my 33 to 36 mpg was a bit low...

David, I think it's worth pointing out that I don't get those figures on shorter runs; I find the Seven needs the best part of twenty miles to start giving its best, and presumably the better fuel consumption figures  then follow.
Interesting comment about warm up. My RN certainly performs better after 30 mins or so. Fuel consumption about 40 mpg. I am now in a position to start temperature measurement around the fuel / carburettor to determine what is causing vapourisation on hot days and arduous conditions. Just need some hot weather !
Mike,
Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. In fact the little car rarely does short runs. Everywhere is a long way from Bala! However, unless I am going to to Dolgellau or Wrexham, going anywhere requires scrambling up and down mountains.
I am aware that my carburettor is not working aright (see my thread on the subject). I hvae sorted out enough bits from my spares box to build another carb, so I am going to have a go at that task today and see if that brings improvement.
David.
I remember an early "Which" test that features a Morris Minor. They rigged up some sort of contraption to measure MPG from cold and for the first few miles it was down in single figures....

(10-04-2019, 07:18 PM)Dave Wortley Wrote: Our son, Joe and and I took the Cheapskate Special to be Mot’d. It passed! 65 mile round trip but gave it a good run in the freezing cold morning air through Chatsworth Park and over Beeley Moor. Joe had a short drive and was a little traumatised by the experience. One or two teething problems to be ironed out now. (On the car that is).

My son, Julian, had a drive in the Chummy last weekend, the first old car he's been in since being taken home from hospital in a Ruby after his birth. He said, "You used to do WHAT mileage in one of these! Impossible!". I had to agree with him, it does seem strange at this distance in time...