The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Yes, when I cropped the picture I had to leave the dog in.
The dog is musing on the advantage of Sevens with no front bumper. Decades ago when cars were not everywhere, dogs seemed especially attracted to our RP. My father used to get quite annoyed. On building sites, apprentices working with him always drew his attention to any miscreant passing dog.
Hi
Tightened up the half shaft nuts to find one had stripped its threads, luckily I had a new spare courtesy of mr Betts.

Also drained tank of half gallon petrol and to test if leaking put in about 2 gallons of leaded I have had for at least 10 years. No leaks so will drain tank again and put in fresh.
Not sure if leaded will still function, maybe try mixing with new for lawnmower.
Ian

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I have been fitting a new (replacement) front number plate as the former had split and the front shock mount had vibrated a hole though it. The font is slightly different but still looks period. As I have no documentary proof as to original date of 1st registration and the other cars with similar chassis/car numbers don't either, I have decided that the car was first used on 8th June 1933... (until someone proves otherwise)

[Image: 20190408-134626.jpg]
A fine day in Derbyshire, did exactly 60 miles on just a fraction over one gallon - certainly better than 50mpgĀ  Tongue

How fast (or slow) do you have to drive to get mileage like that? I dont think I've ever got better than 40mpg round here, but it is hilly.
45mph on the main roads, and lots of 2nd gear work at 25-35mph in Derbyshire proper. I've got the radiator half-blanked off and the temperature gauge is running hotter than I would really like, but in fact it didn't use any water so it must be OK - the FZB carb seems to thrive on a hot engine.
My SWB steel salion runs hot too In my case 'cos the modern core doesnt hold as much water. But as you say the dangly Zenith runs superbly when the car has warmed up or is 'hot'
Photo 
Had coffee, biscuits, VSCC lunch meeting, more coffee and cakes with Mike Costigan - then chewed over the lack of a fuel tank neck filter in our cars and wondered if the "baffling effect" of such would stop fuel being thrown out of the breather hole. Fired up the lathe and made a crude "baffle replacement" - yet to be tested.

It should work. I have a 2 stroke generator for emergencies that has a similar device but in plastic.