The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven

.jpeg   F344BD55-44D6-45BE-9736-60C60A502CE8.jpeg (Size: 153.66 KB / Downloads: 550)

I weeded a window box while waiting for the clear lacquer
on the AllAlloyCup project to dry, plus bit of remedial woodwork
on the car doors at the local Men’s Shed.

Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
Lovely photo, Bill.
Perhaps we should have a photo competition?

Organising events does not just mean admin and arrangements, but sometimes assisting hopeful participants in getting their mighty machines on the road. Thus one can discover that different workshops have differing security precautions. It did sound as fierce as it looked!

Went out in the Tourer to see if the back axle with some new bearings was quieter than the spare.

The answer is, yes its quieter than it was, but not as good as the spare.

And the brakes are awful, despite the shoes looking new (but maybe 30 years old).

But the keyways on the spare are shot.  The brakes are lock-up good, though.

Buy new half shafts for the spare? (Gulp)

Swap the brakes over and assume the slight whine will stay a slight whine?

Swap half shafts?

Dunno.   Think about it.

The point of this is that I have successfully posted a photo, again
Smile
After 3 days, I’ve managed to get the engine out of my recently acquired Chummy to investigate a strange noise. It’s a deep, irregular knock that occurs when the engine goes from driven to overrun. Ended up having to raise the body off the chassis at the front to get enough clearance. Is this normal for a Chummy? Investigation starts tomorrow. Does anyone have any ideas regarding the noise?
Thanks Alan
Loose flywheel?
Despite the cold weather (6 degrees in the garage) over the last few weeks I've managed to get lots done on the seven (restoration began in 1986 and is looking like another year might do it) so the 4 wings/mudguards are all on, everything lined up so the bonnet fits properly, steering all back together and it works, handbrake and footbrake now working too.

Today was a super sunny day so instead of hiding in the garage we went a few miles in the modern to have a perambulate around Easingwold and it's market. Not only did we see an RP (I think) drive through, but maybe half an hour later we saw it drive through again in the opposite direction. Think it was WD 5148.

Being bucked up by this I went home and spent a couple of hours on the seven. Then took the 1955 Austin out for a trundle in the dark..... and ran out of petrol. Walked home a mile or so, and back, to then see my wife's car had been parked about 15 yards away all the time. I could have gone for petrol in that, no need to walk. Hey ho.
Having sold my Porsche last November, but still being a member of The Independent Porsche Enthusiasts Club, I attended a Porsche run today in aid of a young man who is receiving chemotherapy for stage 4 bowel cancer and is a 'car nut'. So I 'gatecrashed' the meeting in the Seven.

We all met up at the British Ironworks Centre near Oswestry, prior to a run out to Bala. I didn't go on the run, but arranged to meet the others at Bala Lake. Huge fun and Duncan, the lad for whose benefit the run was arranged had a great day. He got to ride in half a dozen Porsches and the Seven.

Having had 'chemo' some years ago and remembering what a miserable form of treatment it is, I am so glad I was part of bringing a little sunshine into Duncan's life.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike,

You were correct. Loose flywheel. Just ordered a new Woodruff key and lock washer.

Regards Alan
(29-03-2019, 07:43 PM)Jack in the Box Wrote: After 3 days, I’ve managed to get the engine out of my recently acquired Chummy to investigate a strange noise. It’s a deep, irregular knock that occurs when the engine goes from driven to overrun. Ended up having to raise the body off the chassis at the front to get enough clearance. Is this normal for a Chummy? Investigation starts tomorrow. Does anyone have any ideas regarding the noise?
Thanks Alan

Alan

I think the Chummy is very similar to the RK.  I've struggled twice to get the engine and box out and in the car but have recently been advised that its easiest to split the two.  Good luck with the flywheel. I've used a taper lock on mine as the taper on the flywheel was not the smoothest and I didn't want to over lap it too much.

Cheers

Howard