The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
[attachment=4808 Wrote:Viteran pid='20832' dateline='1545140975']             Hi Dave
Any chance of publishing or sending me the photos.I have a hydraulic braked car (37 Ruby) with a “ modern” handbrake and would be interested in putting back an original handbrake if Practical ,although not until the weather gets warmer!
Ian

Here you are Ian, the photo of the lever on it's own shows the extension is 1" x 1/4" This isn't big enough and it will bend I used 13/8" x 1/4". The outer cable stops are on the rear cross member and the cables are standard Morris Minor.

Just in case you are wondering the handbrake lever is mounted further back to clear the fabric coupling because this car is an RN saloon with a 3 speed engine and 4 speed gearbox.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks for the photos.My Engineer Son is back for Xmas and I will show him.
It looks reasonably straightforward.I will need to get an original handbrake lever but I suspect Tony Betts will have one and my son lives in Leicester.
Have a good Christmas
Ian
Tell me Greig.. what's it like on your shores .....overhere the (opening) question by people running into me and my classic asked most often was: "....... how expensive is it / how much did that cost??" or questions of similar implications .... not interested in the car but it's value (and probably my personal net worth...which is neglecable) only
(19-12-2018, 04:05 PM)Michael D Wrote: Tell me Greig.. what's it like on your shores .....overhere the (opening) question by people running into me and my classic asked most often was: "....... how expensive is it / how much did that cost??" or questions of similar implications .... not interested in the car but it's value (and probably my personal net worth...which is neglecable) only

Even after all these years that still upsets me. 
I have noticed of late how few the old-boys-who-used-to-have-one-in-1943 have become - anyone who's seen 'Genevieve' will know what I mean. It used to be such a gentle pleasure politely indulging their reminiscences.
(20-12-2018, 04:25 PM)Chris KC Wrote: I have noticed of late how few the old-boys-who-used-to-have-one-in-1943 have become - anyone who's seen 'Genevieve' will know what I mean. It used to be such a gentle pleasure politely indulging their reminiscences.

Funnily enough I had just such a conversation a couple of weeks ago. A very well-spoken lady who must have been well into her eighties came over to the Seven in Tesco's car park and said something on the lines of 'when I was about ten my older brother had one just like this but he could never get it running properly. Mind you, that didn't stop me tearing round the field in it when he wasn't around ...'   Cool
The RP is currently having a winter nap, covered by a couple of bed sheets in the garage to keep off cat prints, while I prat about with my MGF. I'm fitting a new convertible hood as the original one was really tatty. The car is an early 'F' and I had the top cover made specially. It appears that Mark 1 Fs are starting to appreciate in value...
Anyway with the RP in mind I e-mailed the secretary of my old car club because I haven't received any regs for the winter rally. Apparently the event has been cancelled and the club looks like it might fold. Sad news indeed. Anyway it won't be the same any more since my trusty passepartout Robin Murtough passed on to greater things last year.
Hi Michael

I get a mixture of what's it worth vs what'll it do....

I get it with the Giulietta's... A properly restored Spider is worth the thick end of 80000UKP now..... Stupid money, I didn't buy the Spider or build the race car purely as investments, I have them because we really enjoy driving them, so much so that I bought a second Spider which I sold to Dad and then a Ti saloon which I gave to my wife, so we regularly run 3 cars on Alfa Tours. I think more Alfa friends have driven my Spider recently than I have. It's a car not a museum piece.

Dad always encouraged me to join in his hobby, I started driving 7's earlier than most folks. Last year we let a friend drive the green 7 at the Simola Hillclimb, he drove it the first time the night before, first time ever in a 7..... Last week he bought an Ulsteroid and has entered the Hillclimb for next year alongside the Blue Job.

Aye
Greig
(20-12-2018, 05:14 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote:
(20-12-2018, 04:25 PM)Chris KC Wrote: I have noticed of late how few the old-boys-who-used-to-have-one-in-1943 have become - anyone who's seen 'Genevieve' will know what I mean. It used to be such a gentle pleasure politely indulging their reminiscences.

Funnily enough I had just such a conversation a couple of weeks ago. A very well-spoken lady who must have been well into her eighties came over to the Seven in Tesco's car park and said something on the lines of 'when I was about ten my older brother had one just like this but he could never get it running properly. Mind you, that didn't stop me tearing round the field in it when he wasn't around ...'   Cool

Nice though isn't it Mike, seeing their eyes light up?

Of course the other conversation I miss a lot these days is 'I've got one of those at the bottom of the garden, do you want it?'

cue: "Where have all the barn finds gone? Long time pa-a-ssing... Gone to eBay, ev'ry one..."
(20-12-2018, 07:15 PM)Chris KC Wrote: Nice though isn't it Mike, seeing their eyes light up?

Yes, it's why I try to take mine out every week on a daily run - there's always someone who wants to start up a conversation, even if more often than not it's no longer reminiscences.
What I did was to slowly and gently slip engine and gearbox back in. As Wellington said, but probably not about an Austin, a damn close run thing. All who read this will be aware of how little clearance there is, but it does actually fit. A posher pal of mine has a very big and very well engineered car somewhat older than a Ruby. He is grateful for the build quality and reliability, as the body was built onto a running chassis. There seems to have been no plans for ever taking the engine out once the body had been built over the engine and gearbox.

(20-12-2018, 10:43 PM)Steve kay Wrote: What I did was to slowly and gently slip engine and gearbox back in. As Wellington said, but probably not about an Austin, a damn close run thing. All who read this will be aware of how little clearance there is, but it does actually fit. A posher pal of mine has a very big and very well engineered car somewhat older than a Ruby. He is grateful for the build quality and reliability, as the body was built onto a running chassis. There seems to have been no plans for ever taking the engine out once the body had been built over the engine and gearbox.
Good lord, just noticed the first few words of Mike Costigan's contribution above; " I try to take mine out every week!" Surely he can't mean the engine.