The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Hi All

Put the engine and reconditioned three speed box back in the RK.  Struggled with the clutch lever (as I did last time) despite having cut a relatively large hole in the floor pan. Ended up fitting the lever and spring with the engine on the hoist and nearly in position so that the lever was past the vertical part of the bulkhead and still accessible to fit the cotter.

Anyone else have problems getting the engine and box into a Chummy / RK?

Howard
(17-12-2018, 10:22 AM)AllAlloyCup Wrote: On Thursday helped the Moose, move hoose, along with its workbenches.
Looking forward to seeing Colin’s mean machine,
in hill climb action in 2019.

Interesting radius arms. How are they connected inboard?
(17-12-2018, 03:39 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi All

Put the engine and reconditioned three speed box back in the RK.  Struggled with the clutch lever (as I did last time) despite having cut a relatively large hole in the floor pan. Ended up fitting the lever and spring with the engine on the hoist and nearly in position so that the lever was past the vertical part of the bulkhead and still accessible to fit the cotter.

Anyone else have problems getting the engine and box into a Chummy / RK?

Howard
I put the gearbox in first and then follow with the engine. A jack under the gearbox helps align it...For three speed gearboxes, I put the withdrawal bearing on the clutch levers and push that onto the nose of the gearbox as the engine goes in, sounds unlikely but generally works.
Spent some time lying on the ground getting photos of the original type handbrake lever and how it's connected to the rear brakes on a hydraulic braked car for the benefit of another Seven whose hydraulic braked car has a modern handbrake lever who wants to fit an original type lever. Got the photos on the computer ready to send and learnt he's decided to get some company to do the job.
Was this an email that came in yesterday Dave, a red and black saloon?
Yes, has he contacted you?
Yup. Confused
Hi Dave
Any chance of publishing or sending me the photos.I have a hydraulic braked car (37 Ruby) with a “ modern” handbrake and would be interested in putting back an original handbrake if Practical ,although not until the weather gets warmer!
Ian
I took the new toy to our local Cars n Coffee yesterday morning, it was a Public Holiday, folks were a mite sleepy and the blower certainly woke them up when I arrived (trailer around the corner) and this morning a dozen folks have contacted me as we made the tabloids.... and for the right reasons  Angel

Car was very well received, folks took lots of pictures, had to keep answering questions of why the engine is skew in the chassis... well it's offset and where is the carburetor ?   Umm, at your feet, you are almost standing on it, is this the generator ? Erm, no that's actually the supercharger

I don't think anyone had ever seen a blown pre-war car before, also folks kept referring to the SU as a 'bottle carb', first time I have ever heard that description

Ciao
Greig

Note to self, I need to make a board that shows pictures of the build together with the blurb on the car that I can bring along to show what is what & why it is so.... one chap simply couldn't grasp the idea of the offset build to lower the frontal area - the picture sort of gives it away  Tongue

Attached Files
.jpg   At Cars n Coffee Dec 2018.JPG (Size: 305.3 KB / Downloads: 301)
Nice pic Greig. Trust the local rag to spell your name wrong though! It's good when people want to come ask you about the car. People are generally totally clueless about cars these days. On pedal for go, one for stop. Lift the bonnet and can't even see an engine now.

I've been watching a lot of American Hotrod Garage and Roadkill lately. Hot rods and pro-touring cars aren't exactly my thing but you have to appreciate the pure raw power and  mechanical-ness of what those guys do. Everything is on view and you can see what it's for. Engines look like engines and V8s sounds great of course. Big and simple and unsophisticated. Actually, sounds like most of the Americans I know...

I always wonder what they'd make of our little Austins. Especially the little racing ones.

Simon