The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tool Roll Q's
I've just added a pair of rigger gloves after burning my hand on a very hot spark plug and trying to look brave for the onlookers.
(17-07-2022, 05:07 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: You can virtually guarantee that it's the tool or part you haven't got with you that you'll need. That's Murphy's Law. RH Insurance with recovery is a good idea. (Unfortunately I can't get it in France but I know a guy with a wrecker...)

Yep - 1st thing I did was get the RH insurance. I think I'm covered by three different services now so someone will hopefully pick us up  Big Grin
Here’s one more which nobody else has mentioned — a wee bottle of superglue. Why?  If you are using the standard Ruby  Zenith carb you may have a crack develop at the banjo union. Happened to me on a Eurotour. Of course somebody else had overtightened it, not me guv.
A few drops of superglue will run into the crack and get you home.

Charles
A few years ago we were in in the hills of Harris, miles from anywhere, doing about 45 mph when the engine just died. I opened the bonnet to see petrol pouring out the bottom of the 22 FZB carburetor and shut the fuel off, we'd lost the plug under the main jet. I searched the road but didn't find it and wondered what to do when I remembered I had a spare carburetor on board why I had it I don't know but I've carried it ever since.
I only carry a basic toolkit, but do carry fuel hose, jubilee clips, electrical wire, MIG wire, a spare fan belt, plugs, condenser, and since my car developed a massive misfire and died in the middle of the Warwick one way system on the way to the 2005 Austin centenary rally, a spare coil. Couldn't be sure of the exact problem at the time, so I changed the condenser with traffic (including half a dozen A7s) driving past skimming my backside. Still no go, so the fault had to be the coil for which I didn't carry a spare. Thankfully, are enquiring from the several bystanders who had gathered, I was given some directions and walked my dog to a proper (Lucas branded) car spares place, getting there just before closing time. Bought and fitted the new coil, so Billy Boy and I could get on our way again.

Billy Boy and I did get to relax once we arrived to Cofton Park though.

[Image: 52221884807_ba44bb69db_z.jpg]
(17-07-2022, 04:39 PM)John Mason Wrote: Bob, I like the wire with the two crocodile clips. In the old days an essential piece of equipment for car thieves and joy riders to hot wire a stolen car.

John Mason.

Excuse my ignorance but never having been a joy rider or car thief in my time how do you hot wire an Austin Seven?  What do I clip to what?
battery to coil , or starter feed to coil. Hey presto, ignition.

I don't have a tool roll, I just keep tools under the seat. I have 3 cars on the road, so 3 sets of tools. I have been blessed (or perhaps cursed) to have inherited about a ton (in weight) of whitworth tools.

I carry lot, mainy as I use the car as its own toolbox. I maintain my cars at two locations (home and a rented shed), so having enough to do most maintenance items in each car means I don't have to worry about moving tools about. Needless to say I have jacks at both locations as well as whitworth socket sets.

This is what I carry in one of the cars, the other two are probably similar, though not identical. I also carry zip ties, a small bag of nuts/bolts/washers. Plus a jack.

.jpg   spanners.jpg (Size: 92.88 KB / Downloads: 98)

For shits and giggles some time ago, I worked out which tools I used while changing an engine on the RP. These are pictured below. Frankly, not sure why I need anything beyond this, but I carry it anyway. The spanner in the 2nd picture was an addition, the speedo cable on this particular car had a hex nut which wasn't imperial (well it certainly wasnt whit) and was too tight for my hand, luckily when you have a endless supply of spanners and an angle grinder, a spanner can be any size you want it to be. I could have used the mole grips, but I'm not an animal. That particular spanner lived in that car now. 

.jpg   engine swap 1.jpg (Size: 146.44 KB / Downloads: 98)

.jpg   engine swap 2.jpg (Size: 105.66 KB / Downloads: 98)
Don’t know about tool box, what is essential just now is the cool box. Egg sarnies, fizzy water, damp flannels to mop the driver’s brow….
Dave 
My wife also had the main jet access plug fall out of her 22fz No chance of finding it along the road. Rummaging through the tool box we found an 18mm spark plug fitted. Just don't wire it up!!!! 
Gordon