The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tool Roll Q's
As a new Ruby owner two questions arise:

1. What tools/spares do you typically carry

2. Is there a good toolbox/roll that fits well in the under-bonnet toolbox
Joe I keep mine under the seat. It is one from Clarke’s. I keep a set of Whitworth combination spanner’s, pliers ordinary and narrow nose, vice grips. A selection of different size screwdrivers not forgetting a small electrical one. Few punches and drifts, Feeler gauges. I also carry a few other tools such as a hub puller and some whit sockets. To finish of with I carry a few other things such as insulation tape (not a big fan of it but it will get you home in an emergency.) a length of wire, an assortment of whit and BSF nuts and studs. Spare condenser, points and a couple of old but serviceable plugs.
At the end of the day if you are unfortunate enough to breakdown the tool you really could do with is back hom n the garage.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Add to that a length of wire with a small crocodile clip each end. Use it to bypass all the ignition circuit in an emergency, an analogue volt meter / circuit tester, spanner small enough for the nut which holds the points in place, small hammer, half shaft nut socket spanner and assorted split pins.
Don’t normally carry much in the way of tools, only a few spanner’s and screwdrivers. Essential item is a mobile phone to call breakdown company. The days of changing half shafts by the roadside are, for me, over.
Alan Fairless
Hi

For short runs I would carry very little. For longer adventures the list below. However rather than changing what I carry all the time the list below stays in the car.

Not really tools …..but I carry a spare distributor and leads, and coil. Saves the faff of changing condenser s and points although you do have to re-time.

I also carry a spare inner tube and tyre levers (I don’t have room for a spare wheel in the Special  Smile)

Tool wise, like others, BSF spanner’s, digital meter (because it’s smaller than an analogue one) insulation tape, some tubing, wire, odd bolts, nuts etc.

I also have a couple of box spanners, one to use as a wheel brace the other as a plug spanner.

I have a spare head gasket and gasket material in a flat part of luggage space. Nut lock and gasket goo.

Embarrassment time… Blush . I carry a spare gearstick cos it’s the only thing that’s let me down in the past!

Remember Every Austin came with a tool kit described in the relevant Spare Parts List (available on the archive)

Lastly this has been covered exhaustively in past threads…Try the search box  Big Grin.

Cheers

Howard
I carry a complete top plate for the DK4 distributor. I fit this and set the points; then remove it and store away under the seat. I find its easier to disconnect one wire and remove two screws than setting the points in the dark; to then find its the condenser that's not working.
Open spanners
BA spanners
Screwdrivers
Pliers
Small 3/8 socket set
Water pump pliers for the nut that isn't covered by the spanners
Mole wrench (tool of last resort)
Nuts, bolts, washers
Spark plugs
Duck tape
Rolled length of MIG wire
Length of insulated wire
Latex gloves (in case I was planning to eat later)
Mobile phone
Bob, I like the wire with the two crocodile clips. In the old days an essential piece of equipment for car thieves and joy riders to hot wire a stolen car.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Thanks all - Apologies for asking the question again - Interesting to see the range of suggestions!
You can virtually guarantee that it's the tool or part you haven't got with you that you'll need. That's Murphy's Law. RH Insurance with recovery is a good idea. (Unfortunately I can't get it in France but I know a guy with a wrecker...)