The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Patent Plate Minutiae
I understand- possibly worth a try though.
The patent plate from my 1931 June/July steel bodied AG tourer. I'm reasonably sure it's the original, and was never taken until I did a few days back. It was riveted. 

It seems to be the same as your 1933, Hugh. 

Interesting that the company name alignment keeps changing. I supposed the font size also changed as the size of the plates changed. 

Since the black paint and nickel finish are long gone, I bought a plate from a cherished supplier. I did not realise that there's a high possibility that it will not match my original until I stumbled upon this very interesting thread!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Great to see your post, Prithvitagore, but bittersweet that it's now removed. Are you going to keep the original one now? I think its feasible to try v.lightly spraying black and try block sanding with a a very fine paper to pick up the letters back to brass...

Hugh, are you using or planning on using the patent information anywhere on the archive site?
Yes, Jon, that is my intention. I am having rtouble getting a good set of photos gathereed together. I was planning a sweep at Morton, but my duties there meant I hardy got to see the cars, let alone take photos of plates. I am hoping to revive this at Beaulieu this year and will refresh the thread after then.

As the patent plates are often 'behind' the steering wheel, it is tricky to get a good 'straight on' image...
if you managed to get a good summary list of the X different types and what they cover, and mark up which ones you need, you might find you'll end up with things send to you you can then choose between... I'll happily take good camera and look out.
Hugh, I suppose you can do the same but, if not, if you have an "angled shot" I can make it straight for you. Just send the images at as high a resolution as possible.
(29-05-2024, 02:21 PM)Hugh Barnes Wrote: Yes, Jon, that is my intention. I am having rtouble getting a good set of photos gathereed together. I was planning a sweep at Morton, but my duties there meant I hardy got to see the cars, let alone take photos of plates. I am hoping to revive this at Beaulieu this year and will refresh the thread after then.

As the patent plates are often 'behind' the steering wheel, it is tricky to get a good 'straight on' image...