The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter Driving - Engine Temperature
For those of us not familiar with the use of a radiator muff on a 2CV, I looked it up:

Owners of Sevens fitted with the zenith 22FZ and the 22FZB carburettors are well aware of their idiosyncrasies with it's side hinged choke flap which must be released as soon as the engine starts and then nursing it for the first half mile till the engine warms up. Whilst some owners resort to flooding the carburettor which can result in excess petrol washing the oil off the cylinder walls. Knowing that most engine wear occurs on cold starting and at work all our engines were pre heated prior to starting I've long wondered if a Seven engine could be pre heated prior to start up using a long out of production accessory made by Bray. This was an electric heater installed in the lower radiator hose. I searched the internet for ages with most being way to big for a Seven being made for the North American market. Eventually I found a heater similar to the Bray for £46.91 but being of American manufacture it was 120 volts so I also needed a 240/120 volt transformer. I duly fitted the heater and tried it when the ambient temperature was 9ºC and found it heated the engine up to a just bearable temperature in 1 hour and the radiator header tank was just holdable. The heater is rated at 600 watts and will have cost me about £0.19 in electricity. While the engine fired up instantly and I could drive off without having to nurse it for the first half mile. The heater was supplied by Massey tractor Parts.    
.jpg   bray.jpg (Size: 74.66 KB / Downloads: 276)
In answer to Steve Kaye’s question, yes, I have climbed Bwlch-y-Groes several times from the Llanuwchlyn side. However this is not as steep nor difficult as approaching it from the Llan Mawddwy side. I have only done that climb once one night coming back from Commins Coch. I thought that the evening was getting a bit foggy until I realised that the ‘fog’ was actually coming from the Seven!
Had a 998 Mini in 1969-70 in Winnipeg Canada. It had a Block, Carb and interior heaters fitted. Problem was I had to rent a parking spot with no plug in. You were not allowed to park on the street. Never had any problem starting even at minus 25 Farenheiht most winter days. Friends with Datsuns etc had all sorts of problems and had to be taken back to the dealers to warm them through. That only lasted a few days. My only problem was square tyres for the first few miles. I converted it to an Alexander twin Stromburg Carbs and Cooper S Exhaust for the second year and never had any problems. Moved to Ottowa and used to Drive to St Jovite 100 miles in 100 minuets on washboard roads to see the Canam and Transam races. Loads of fun
“100 miles in 100 minuets”. That positively dancing along!
Literally on the washboard dirt roads. One outcome was the heater dropping onto my foot when the screws worked their way out.
That’s not a minuet. That’s a tarantella!
What's a spider got to do with it?

A mile a minute is pushing it in a Seven - anyone claim to have achieved this?
I think the guys that hold the record for the Jogle averaged faster than that... and no idea how they did it!
It's about 900 miles - so about 15 hours at those speeds? I don't know how they do that either.