The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter Driving - Engine Temperature
Does anyone else block off the bottom third of their radiator in the winter?  

I tend to drive on the oil pressure - 3 bearing engine - so about 5psi - and like to see the engine properly warmed up, even on shorter runs.  

(I just drop a small board the size of a place mat down in front of the radiator, where it sits quite happily.)
I've never noticed any problem Colin so no I don't - but I have (had) a modern core in my Ulster so others may have different experience.

It's important not to confuse water temperature and oil temperature - they are not the same thing at all. It takes a good 15 mins of running under typical circs to bring oil up to temperature. With a deep sump it takes forever! Even more important if you use 'straight' oil.
I have a Renault 5 thermostat fitted in my top hose (drilled for a little flow), so no need for a radiator muff.
I have a supercharger which obviates any concerns about running too cold
When it is properly cold I just take the fan belt off, I have been doing it for years.
I've always used pieces of cardboard (two different sizes for when it's cold and really cold!) in the winter; it improves the car's running, and easy to remove if the weather improves.

I use an engine heater which gets it up to temperature    
Not seen one of those before - provides heat to the coolant from the bottom hose? - so the water circulates? Is it powered externally from the mains, and put on a while before start-up?
I use my centenary rally board, to blank off part of my radiator. Doesn't go soggy, like cardboard, and brings back happy memories.

Regards,
Colin
Having a thermostat and temp gauge on the Ruby indicated that a suitable piece of cardboard hidden behind the radiator grille was required for about as much time as the muff on the 2CV front air intake. It demonstrated that a properly cleaned out block and re-cored radiator give excellent cooling. Seriously climbing hills has only got to steam emission on one occasion, on the recent very hot summer. Otherwise, no boiling, and the very small water capacity is clearly demonstrated by how rapidly the temperature falls whilst descending the other side. 
One hill I have not climbed in a Seven is Bwlch y Groes. The summit is not as high as Gospel Pass, and there are steeper sections elsewhere. It is however rather long, and the hairpin close to the bottom prevents momentum. It was on Bwlch y Groes that the destruction of Gunnar Poppe’s clutch ended his Small Car Trial on the Thursday of the event, however his first attempt on the Monday he was also bought to a standstill by reported “overheating badly” Have any of our members climbed the hill? Perhaps Howard will post a picture of his sprightly special, scampering up in third gear. Or second. Even better would be tales of parental, or grand parental, Sevens going up in reverse, followed by a procession of passengers.