The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RN Headlining
I did the headlining in my 1931 saloon and also the Pytchley special and if you don't have a sunroof it is a very simple job.  The important thing is to stitch the 'flaps' into the material so they correspond to the timber cross-members in the roof.   Put a chalk line down the middle so you can keep it square.  Start by tacking the flap to the rear face of the rearmost cross member.  Work forwards until all the flaps are tacked to the cross-members.  At this stage the edges all round the roof have not been tacked in place.   Do the rear edge first, then when you do the front it will all become nicely tensioned due to the flaps.   Then do the edges.   I used strips of material covered thin MDF to finish the edges.  When you pin these in place it will further tension the headlining.
For the Pytchley I used an old woolen blanket from a charity shop, cost 50p!
I recall that I used a book by Jonathan Wood 'Restoration of Classic and Thoroughbred Cars' (or similar!) which explained the procedure for doing the headlining.        
Thanks Malcom, I even looked through my pre computer photos and the only photos of the internal roofs of two fixed head RNs have no headlining.
Thanks both very helpful Smile
Reading my method above, it occurs to me that I must have started by tacking the rear flap to the front face of the cross-member, otherwise you wouldn't be able to progress to the next one.  My book by Jonathan Wood is boxed away during my house move so I can't quote chapter and verse.