The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The real cost of EVs
About a month ago I was caught in a massive traffic jam on the A6 in Disley caused by a fossil fueled BMW self igniting. I arrived on the scene a couple of minutes after it started and after about 45 minutes there wasn't much left of it, lots of black smoke and 4 distinct bangs when the tyres blew up, no the fuel tank didn't explode and then the fire brigade arrived having been held up by traffic and extinguished the smoldering remains.
(29-07-2023, 12:25 PM)Austin in the Shed Wrote: The plumber didn't pull up sharply,the bus driver did.(Because he didn't look behind before pulling off)This caused a passenger on the bus to fall and break an ankle.
I believe the charge the plumber was accused wrongly of was dangerous driving .
The bus driver lied and the police took his word,and side.The plumber had to attend an interview 30 miles away and was grilled (His words) for 31/2 hours.
Moral of the story is if you have a dash cam you may be able to prove your innocence if accused of something you didn't do.

"  a passenger on the bus had fallen and broken an ankle and he was accused of pulling up sharply in front of the bus and"

So if it wasn't the plumber that pulled up sharply in front of the bus, who was it? I'm confused.
(27-07-2023, 11:29 AM)Howard Wright Wrote:
(27-07-2023, 10:41 AM)Austin in the Shed Wrote:
(26-07-2023, 07:41 PM)phillips Wrote: Hi all, if you want wind farms, well, come to Wales we have forest's of them. They look and are rubbish.S&P

And a blanket 20 mph speed limit from September? Is that true ?
You won’t even get a 7 out of second gear.

Hi Austin

No the 20 mph applies to ‘restricted’ roads only.  Generally these are now 30mph limits in built up ares.

https://www.gov.wales/introducing-defaul...eed-limits

If it saves just one child’s life I’m all for it!

Cheers

Howard

(27-07-2023, 09:38 PM)andrew34ruby Wrote:
(27-07-2023, 02:38 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: A " blanket" 20mph is something dreamed up by someone who has never been involved in enforcement issues. It is incapable of being policed. A realistic 20mph zone is somewhere it is physically impossible to go faster ( because the environment makes people slow down, for example, speed bumps, chicanes, narrowing etc.). Just saying it is so won't make people comply. It is unworkable, but typical of current thinking.

"incapable of being policed"  but the present 30 limits are rarely policed. This means that traffic wizzes around at 38 and more, but an unlucky few get penalised. As for speed bumps and narrowing... please no.

I often drive in town at around 20 (in a modern car) and the traffic behind doesn't seem to notice.

There must be better ways than speed bumps. How about traffic lights that favour the road with slower traffic?
In Switzerland, I've noticed the odd stretch of road where, if you stick to the limit the lights are in your favour. But, even at 3 am, if you exceed it the lights turn red. Might, I suppose, be common elsewhere but I've never encountered it.
You will find the same on the A6 in Stockport but I guess you were going too fast, like those in moderns who overtake me in the Seven and have to stop at the next red light which turns to green when I get there but I have to stop because of the them who are fiddling with their mobile.
(30-07-2023, 09:18 PM)Dave Mann Wrote: You will find the same on the A6 in Stockport but I guess you were going too fast, like those in moderns who overtake me in the Seven and have to stop at the next red light which turns to green when I get there but I have to stop because of the them who are fiddling with their mobile.

I'm very careful in Stockport, Dave, there seem to be rather a lot of cameras. How many work is another matter - but I'm not prepared to test the hypothesis that many do not!