The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The real cost of EVs
Hi all, if you want wind farms, well, come to Wales we have forest's of them. They look and are rubbish.S&P
I agree, my wife and I took the Lotus Super Seven for a tour of Wales (the Austin would have been a bit of a pain on the hills, and Rosie doesn’t have the patience!) we also walked various routes across the mountains...the wind farms may be green (though I’m yet to be convinced with their predicted working life) and I agree, they are a blight on the landscape.
(26-07-2023, 07:41 PM)phillips Wrote: Hi all, if you want wind farms, well, come to Wales we have forest's of them. They look and are rubbish.S&P

I seem to remember that in his story "The Sleeper Awakes", HG Wells envisaged a depopulated countryside having swathes of wind turbines for power. I vaguely recall that in the book, farming was heavily mechanised and most agricultural workers had moved to the enlarged cities.

Jamie
It is strange how people view things so differently. I really dislike fields of solar panels. The reality of their claimed biodiversity is that they are shaded scrubland.
However, I really like wind turbines. There is a field of huge ones just across from us up north and I see them as majestic new age windmills. They leave the land below them untouched for use by sheep etc. However, they cause many problems for bats etc. There are no easy answers.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
You are right Andy there are no easy answers, one of the “unseen” solutions was a bank of undersea turbines, making use of huge tidal power in the Bristol Channel, but even that was thought to have a impact on marine life.

Whichever way you look at it, EVs need power to charge their batteries and we will need a lot more power available than we have at present.

Personally I prefer the hydrogen option....but we need more power for that as well!

Meanwhile, I’ll keep driving the Austin...
(26-07-2023, 07:41 PM)phillips Wrote: Hi all, if you want wind farms, well, come to Wales we have forest's of them. They look and are rubbish.S&P

And a blanket 20 mph speed limit from September? Is that true ?
You won’t even get a 7 out of second gear.
(27-07-2023, 10:41 AM)Austin in the Shed Wrote:

And a blanket 20 mph speed limit from September? Is that true ?
You won’t even get a 7 out of second gear.

Hi Austin

No the 20 mph applies to ‘restricted’ roads only.  Generally these are now 30mph limits in built up ares.

https://www.gov.wales/introducing-defaul...eed-limits

If it saves just one child’s life I’m all for it!

Cheers

Howard
A " blanket" 20mph is something dreamed up by someone who has never been involved in enforcement issues. It is incapable of being policed. A realistic 20mph zone is somewhere it is physically impossible to go faster ( because the environment makes people slow down, for example, speed bumps, chicanes, narrowing etc.). Just saying it is so won't make people comply. It is unworkable, but typical of current thinking.
Ah and I see that the A12 was shut day before yesterday for 6 hours due to a significant car fire. It is clear that all cars powered in the same manner should be banned forthwith.

https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-ne...n=exchange
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
I think that was a fossil fueled car, whilst the national TV news is keeping quite about the Fremantle Highway.