The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DK4A electronic distributor
(16-05-2023, 08:37 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Because, if the original one fails, you can simply swap it over in a matter of minutes.  You won't upset the timing, the wiring remains the same, it's good practice to carry spares of things like this...

To be clear, I am suggesting you buy a spare electronic base plate, when you purchase your new unit.

Carrying your old conventional distributor is a good idea too.

Perfect advice. Electronics generally have a bad name - but, witness those on spacecraft that venture forth for ten years or more. Finally, on target, everything is switched on and sends back pictures so clear that you can see the beads of sweat emerging from the pores of the Little Green Men. Somebody must be doing something right.
You get what you pay for !
Having got Ruby back on the road and put a few miles on the clock, I have been trying fine tune the timing?
Using a strobe light it is pretty evident there is little or no advance taking place with increased engine speed. At low revs the corresponding marks on the pointer and pulley remain pretty stable under the strobe, but the mark on the pulley becomes anything but stable, very erratic, fluctuating up and down as revs are increased.
Having read the comments on this thread, I wondered whether the use of electric ignition was worth considering?
So following Ruairidh’s comment I checked the resistance on my coil, which is the original, and this gave a reading of 2.1 ohms, I then checked a new unused coil I carry as a spare and this gave a reading of just 1.6 ohms.
So I assume using electric ignition would not work without another replacement coil as well as new leads and would be folly to use my current distributor with just a conversion kit ??
Is that figure of resistance for 6v ?
Also there appears to be 2 accuspark models suitable for a a 6V positive earth system 
Could you let me know the item number of the one you used on eBay please
I took Ruby to the “garage in the village” as I don’t have a multimeter and he checked them both out and they were the results he gave me, my system is 6v
Apologies Denis
That question was for Ruairidh Dunford