The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Significant Classic of 2022!
I wonder how many people can say that their great grandson drives their car, let alone their Austin Seven?

Tremendous. Smile
Henry and Daisy are vital to the future of the old car movement and, dare I say, the Square Wheels Club. You only have to look at the age profile of both to see that active and affordable old cars are the key to attracting new members.

As we all get older (hopefully!) we can pass on our knowledge and experience so cars like ours continue to be used regularly, rather than gathering dust in a garage or museum.

Well done with the award Henry!

Firstly big congratulations Henry and Martin, very well deserved. 

I wouldn't be so gloomy about the future.  Attached above is a picture from our VSCC youth trip last year to France, just as our parents did 30+ years prior.  There where 10 Austin 7s many built from piles of bits and some lent by friends and family.  
Austin 7's still provide a great way into old car ownership.  If anyone has any kits or cars that are unlikely to be completed there is a raft of youngsters keen to get into old cars.  The VSCC has a list of suitable candidates following the giveaway of a vintage Fiat. (https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/commu...-fiat-509/)
I have followed the VSCC youth tours with a great deal of interest, they must be tremendous fun.

This is the way forward, adventure and great parties.
The biggest single problem in attracting and retaining young enthusiasts is the near-impossibility of obtaining insurance to drive a classic car solo below the age of 25, or at best 21. Who would want to drive their car only with Mum or Dad in the passenger seat? They'll find something else to do in those years.

In 1975 I took my driving test in my RP 17 days after my 17th birthday and it immediately became my daily transport. At 19, the then girlfriend and I took it to France, clocking 2,000 miles in three weeks without any support.

By the time my own children were old enough (2007 and 2009) to drive, mainstream classic insurers wouldn't provide solo cover until they were 18 or 19 and we had to use some fairly questionable (and expensive) methods to get them insured at 17.

Are the risks of driving an Austin Seven at 17 really so great? What are the statistics to support this policy?
I believe that almost, if not all, of the people in the photo above are younger than 25. 

Happy to be corrected.

Speak to these guys, Martin:

Gilbart-Smith Associates
Coach House
Twyford Road
Waltham St. Lawrence
Reading
Berkshire
RG10 0HE

0118 932 1400
Well ljp, that picture has certainly lightened the mood, that is excellent!

I didn’t intend to cast gloom and doom, the opposite in fact, I’m trying to get younger people in the village interested and they certainly enjoy travelling in the Seven, so it may help spark their interest.
Yes pretty much all in the picture are under 25.  Many insured with Hagerty and a lots with Gilbart-smith, both good options!
When I last asked a couple of years ago, Hagerty would not cover our Sevens for "normal" use (shops, school runs and so on) under any circumstances, although they don't seem to volunteer this vital information until pressed to confirm it.  My brother, who was with Hagerty until last year, discovered that he was unwittingly driving without proper cover for this reason.  He's now taken his business to RH, a much more helpful firm in my experience!
Hagarty would not cover me for day to day driving and I suspect that is an unknown, unless you ask the question or suffer an accident and need to make a claim. They are cheaper than some but the cover is completely different.

RH are excellent and I have all my cars (modern and Vintage) covered with them. I know that they will insure 17 year olds but the not in their own right and only with the policy holder in the car too.

Your question, Martin, was about driving solo - see the broker link above, many of those pictured above, in France, in their Seven, did. Smile