The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White finger?
We've always had it with Corky, our 29 Chummy, even with the spare engine that was balanced. My late father's solution was a pair of thick woolly driving gloves, which thankfully I still have and use!
I've noticed that since I disconnected the advance/retard and throttle levers from the bottom of the steering column the noise and vibration coming into the cabin and up the column are markedly reduced. I don't need/use the levers, which are both locked off at the horn button.
I've occasionally thought that a column on Austin Seven-related disorders might prove interesting!

In answer to the question, I drove around 3500 miles in the Ulster last summer holiday - over 300 miles in a day once or twice - without any tingly fingers (rubber mounted, 3-bearing). I pretty much always wear leather gloves when driving long distances.
I've never had a problem driving the saloon, even on long journeys.  I think that engine balance is a factor, also what the steering is like.  I suspect that some drivers clasp the steering wheel too tightly as if they don't trust the steering?   I hold the wheel very gently except when manouevring at low speed.
My problem is ringing in my ears after a long run in the saloon!
(10-01-2023, 09:11 AM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: I've never had a problem driving the saloon, even on long journeys.  I think that engine balance is a factor, also what the steering is like.  I suspect that some drivers clasp the steering wheel too tightly as if they don't trust the steering?   I hold the wheel very gently except when manouevring at low speed.
My problem is ringing in my ears after a long run in the saloon!

You might have a point there Malcolm, likewise I guide the wheel with fingertips most of the time, and merely suggest the preferred direction.

I'm glad you mentioned hearing, I've suffered from mild tinnitus for a good many years now and while deep down I know it was a youth mis-spent in noisy concerts and bars, I've often wondered if cruising the Ulster mile after mile with no hood, screen or headwear may have played a part.
I think Malcolm and Chris have the answer, a light touch and not gripping the wheel.
I have never seen the need for gripping the steering wheel on any car. Every beam axled car that I have ever driven has needed a light touch on the move as the car tends to pick its way over the bumps and undulations and all one does is keep it running on course with little corrections of the wheel. One can also feel the road better through the wheel with a relaxed grip.

The trouble is that one can still feel the light vibration from the engine and, as both I and another contributor have said, a pair of decent gloves tends to dampen it out.
There are course other possible explanations. Tingling in the fingers may, for example, be a sign of carpal tunnel syndrome or brachialgia (sciatica in your arms), and could be related to posture / seat support.

edit: I am no doctor!
Peter
This could of course be hereditary -- I get it as well in - both hands and with driving both the (Rubbered) '34RP and the (Solid) 1930 RF-3.
My GP says it's probably Carpal Tunnel but I think she's confusing it with the tunnels on the Caha Pass just north of here towards Kenmare/Killarney
It occurs less in my right hand which hangs outside mostly giving hand signals and you probably use flashers and have your UK roads straightened,
smoothed and the hills levelled to dumb down the steering/gear changing for modern so called motorists.= so your hands move about less than mine.
It happens in bed as well but when I try to warm them, Herself grunts 'Gerroff!!'

Ian
ps In the past, driving the Speedex 750 around our 'boreens', ALL of me was mostly white from fright- but I was some 12 years younger .
Quite interesting replies so far gentlemen, I don't think that I grip on too tightly and I usually wear gloves although not thick ones. The engine is not tightened down firmly to the chassis, using three snug bolts and a spring loaded forth. Reckers, I do have the gas lever still connected but having converted a Bosch distributor don't have the Ign. lever coupled.. Ian, I always considered you a brave soul  but  using She who must be obeyed as a hand warmer goes beyond  expectations.