The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White finger?
Is it just me, or does anyone else find that after 20/30 miles their fingers get somewhat tingly or numb? It's not something that occurs all the time possibly as a result of constant revs / road speed. My engine ,solid mounting to chassis, may be the cause, does it happen with the later rubber mounting set up?
Can you speak up? I can't hear you!
(09-01-2023, 03:16 PM)Peter Clayton Wrote: Is it just me, or does anyone else find that after 20/30 miles their fingers get somewhat tingly or numb? It's not something that occurs all the time possibly as a result of constant revs / road speed. My engine ,solid mounting to chassis, may be the cause, does it happen with the later rubber mounting set up?

After more than 20/30 miles, perhaps, but yes, I sometimes get that as well. In saying that, I think the last time was arriving at Prescott after the drive over from Moreton last July so perhaps 20/30 miles is right.

Steve
Joking aside I didn't find it a problem in my RP which has a later rubber mounted crankcase - I was doing 250 miles plus a day for 8 days when I did the Santiago run.
This problem is caused by poor balance of the engine.
The steering box is bolted to the chassis next the the rear O/S engine mount so engine vibrations are transmitted onto the steering column.
When I rebuilt the engine in our car with a Phoenix crank I had the crank, rods, flywheel & clutch balanced. Now no problem ,even after driving long distances - 150 miles +.
Jim
(09-01-2023, 03:16 PM)Peter Clayton Wrote: Is it just me, or does anyone else find that after 20/30 miles their fingers get somewhat tingly or numb? It's not something that occurs all the time possibly as a result of constant revs / road speed. My engine ,solid mounting to chassis, may be the cause, does it happen with the later rubber mounting set up?

Hi Peter

It may not be Austin 7 related?  I used to get the same thing with an Audi A1 we used to own! Possibly to do with posture and how the hand grips the steering wheel.

Cheers

Howard
My car has solid engine mounting and, yes the vibration does travel up to the steering wheel as the lightest of a buzz. I also find numbness coming into the fingers particularly in my right hand after say, an hour at the wheel. I find that wearing a pair of gloves helps a great deal as it tends to damp out the vibrations, and always keep a pair of decent warm gloves in the car.
Same here. Reynauds disease I think it's called
I think what is being talked about is actually called 'Vibration White Finger'...
It is 'Vibration White Finger'. Jim's suggestion that it relates to engine balance fits as the engine in my Saloon is as it came to me and doesn't appear to have had any balancing. I don't seem to get the issue with cars fitted with engines I've built that have been balanced. I've a re-built and balanced engine sitting, waiting, in the garage. Perhaps I should fit it to the Saloon....

Steve