The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TO DRAIN OR NOT TO DRAIN.
Hi

I would caution against draining for too long. If the inevitable sludge and sediment is wet it's not too bad, but if it ever dries out in the tiny spaces of the radiator core it is inclined to set hard and never shift again.

I use traditional Bluecol 2 Year (Inorganic Acid Technology IAT) all year round, as much for the corrosion inhibitors as for the frost protection. The inhibitors effectiveness wanes after 2 or 3 years even though the ethylene glycol antifreeze properties carry on working. Whenever I drain and replace with fresh, the old liquid is fairly clean with no rust colouring.

If you live in a fost free climate, you can use coolant additive that just has the corrosion inhibitors.

Some say that antifreeze causes leaks, but to be honest a leak is a leak whatever you fill with.
I use the blue anti freeze in fairly generous dilutions and the corrosion problems are gone, The water ways were seriously clogged when I used plain rain water.
I've also done the thermostat mod suggested on this site and that works very well, quick warm up and regular temperatures whatever the ambient.
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
Well, it looks like the general consensus is to leave the water plus blue antifreeze in the rad, so that's what I will do too.
Thanks for the interesting replies, everyone.
Regards RPM.
On the subject of radiators, I believe I read on this forum that the bottom studs on a Ruby are fixed with spring loaded nuts to the two support brackets.
Can anyone confirm this is correct, it might answer why the studs leaked in the first place as mine had no springs but did have felt pads fitted
My Ruby radiator sits on a couple of deep rubber washers.(look like engine mounting rubber washers with the centre made bigger to allow for the nuts on the bottom of the radiator) This gives it a bit of movement. I am not sure that this is original but it seams to work. It has been like that for over 20 years without problems.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
My 36 Ruby rad appeared to be mounted on a couple of valve springs with rubber washers, I have no idea whether or not it was original!
My 1937 Ruby has the radiator bottom studs going through rubber bushes which are about 3/8 inch thick.  I suspect these are original and have gone very hard.  I am thinking that I should replace them with new rubber which will be softer.
Cheers
Graham