The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TO DRAIN OR NOT TO DRAIN.
Afternoon All, What is the general opinion regarding draining the Rad over the winter within a garage environment? If draining, the internals of the waterways arn't going to dry off, perhaps promoting more rust. What do others think? Although just a thought one could run the engine once drained to warm and dry out the internals. Maybe I have just answered my own question.
Regards RPM
I use comma blue coolant/anti freeze and leave it in, but I do use the car all year round!
I never add antifreeze, preferring not to subject 90-year old metal to yet more chemical attack!

I drain off the radiators when contnuous frost is likely, but rarely use any of my Sevens in the winter months anyway. If I do need one running, a couple of minutes with the hose solve any problems.
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
Funny that Rick, I’ve just returned from a four day motoring tour of North Norfolk...with my antifreeze in, it was a bit nippy in Overstrand first thing this morning!
Same as Ivor here. Green antifreeze and use the car all year round, when it's dry and no salt about.
Hope you had no problems at passport control. Ivor. The border guards can get a bit stroppy now the tourist have gone home!
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
I removed the front end of Ruby to remove the engine and found the rad was leaking at the bottom two studs which I was not aware of.
The rad has an original style core which had stood with water, but no antifreeze, for around 30 years.
I took the rad to a local rad repair shop that I’d used before to repair a spare rad for me and it’s just like stepping back in time to the early 1900’s, very dark, certainly no H&S rules are in operation with real heavy vapours in the air.
When I told him how long the rad had stood with water in his comment was that was better than draining them and leaving them empty, now whether that be true…..??
Anyway he did the repair and then pressure tested the rad after his work and all is still good.
Hi,
I use anti freeze in the Nippy and run it all year round without issue. I'd certainly not be tempted to drain out the coolant and then run the engine to try to let the heat dry everything out - maybe that's just me though?...
Best wishes,
Nick
I leave my antifreeze in all year round. I have for some years thought (From reading up on things.) that modern antifreeze has properties that prevent corrosion and should be used all year round.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I too use antifreeze all year round. I use an ethylene glycol based inhibited antifreeze which gets changed about once every twelve months. But there again, I use the car all year round.