The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mystery engine number
Due to the availability of"sporting" 2 bearing crankshafts, from the likes of Phoenix, Hadley, Tony Betts etc
+ rods and pistons to suit. I am not aware of anybody ever tuning a 3 Bearing for a performance engine apart from possibly a stock Nippy.
There are many more experts out there that will explain , as to why 2 Bearings are best.
(26-11-2022, 12:49 AM)Bluebird7 Wrote:  I am not aware of anybody ever tuning a 3 Bearing for a performance engine apart from possibly a stock Nippy.

Well there was Colin Chapman. 
But back in his day new steel 1.5” cranks weren’t available, and as ever, he only needed an engine to last the length of the race

Charles
and Stuart Rolt who built 3 bearing engines (supercharged) in the 80’s.
(26-11-2022, 11:15 AM)Henry Harris Wrote: and Stuart Rolt who built 3 bearing engines (supercharged) in the 80’s.

Yes. And Matt Shepherd’s race car has a 3 bearing engine that has been remarkably reliable and consistent over the past decade 

C
Don't say that! Remember what happened to your race car....
AND series might be marine "Thetis" engine. Mine has a deep sump with a copper pipe in it, although it isn't used as the specia; has a radiator.
See this link for more info
https://www.archive.a7ca.org/wp-content/..._1576A.pdf
(26-11-2022, 11:52 AM)Reckless Rat Wrote: Don't say that! Remember what happened to your race car....

He has a better mechanic doing preparation!
Both my Nippy and my Ulster have Rolt 3-bearing engines and I have no complaints.
My Chummystein has a three bearing motor, it was reliable and went well.
(26-11-2022, 03:05 PM)Chris KC Wrote: Both my Nippy and my Ulster have Rolt 3-bearing engines and I have no complaints.

The insertion of the Reliant crank does seem to improve matters but let's be honest, it's not a simple conversion!

c